Options

How to Change the Display of Fields in RTC

matttraxmatttrax Member Posts: 2,309
edited 2009-04-17 in NAV Three Tier
I've attached an image to make this clearer.

I have a custom form (on the left). It has some filters at the top that are global variables on the form. They show fine in the classic client. In the RTC they display with a gray background, no box around the text area, and you can't type in them.

I'd like them to look and work "normal" (like on the right, it's a different base form), for lack of a better word. I don't see a property to change, but I'm still learning this new environment. Any thoughts?

Answers

• Options
    jreynoldsjreynolds Member Posts: 175
    Try experimenting with different page types. For example, you can do similar things with List, ListPlus, and Worksheet page types; but they all have differences as well.
  • Options
    Yeah, that didn't work. Maybe I'm missing something in the transformation process?
  • Options
    freddy.dkfreddy.dk Member, Microsoft Employee Posts: 360
    Transformation only sets properties and creates controls - nothing you cannot do afterwards in pages yourself.
    Can you attach a screenshot of the entire page (incl. frame) and let us know what pagetype you are using and how you are opening the page?
    Freddy Kristiansen
    Group Program Manager, Client
    Microsoft Dynamics NAV
    http://blogs.msdn.com/freddyk

The information in this post is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. This post does not represent the thoughts, intentions, plans or strategies of my employer. It is solely my opinion.
  • Options
    It is a modified Item Tracing form/page. I have followed the steps from the Help menu and added the code for the expansion boxes.

Currently it is a Card form as I think that that is the default. I have tried the other page types with no luck. The text boxes at the top of the image are global variables that are then used to filter when the user searches.
  • Options
    What is the source table for the page?

I have found that a Worksheet page type works well for this type of page.
  • Options
    Source table is Item Tracing Buffer. It gets filled in when you search based on Item Ledger Entries. I've attached what the page looks like when it is of type worksheet. In a different location, but they still look the same.
  • Options
    You appear to be opening this from a role center. It is my experience that every page that opens in the role center is non-editable. Try right clicking on "Inventory Search" in the navigation pane and open the page in a new window.
  • Options
    freddy.dkfreddy.dk Member, Microsoft Employee Posts: 360
    You should use the built in filterpane as filter pane for listplaces like this - it looks like a standard listplace like sales orders, customers etc.

I think you might be able to make this run if you open this form as a task page (do a form.run) but clearly we want you to use the filterpane, so that any improvements we make to the filterpane is yours for free.
    Freddy Kristiansen
    Group Program Manager, Client
    Microsoft Dynamics NAV
    http://blogs.msdn.com/freddyk

The information in this post is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. This post does not represent the thoughts, intentions, plans or strategies of my employer. It is solely my opinion.
  • Options
    jreynolds wrote:
    Try right clicking on "Inventory Search" in the navigation pane and open the page in a new window.

That worked perfectly. Now how do I get it to open in a new window without right clicking on it? Users shouldn't have to do that.
    freddy.dk wrote:
    You should use the built in filterpane as filter pane for listplaces like this

It's weird coming from the classic client to this style. I was modeling my form after base forms like G/L Balance by Dimension. Plus the data isn't there to begin with. It's an empty table that gets filled in after the search is completed. The fields are more like search parameters than filters. It definitely needs a filter pane for further filtering after you get the result set, but I don't know about the initial search. It's different in the RTC since the filters are displayed on the page itself. Have to think about this one...
  • Options
    freddy.dk wrote:
    You should use the built in filterpane as filter pane for listplaces like this
    The built in filterpane is just too cumbersome for many tasks. For example, I have a page used to facilitate shipping of sales orders. The source table is Sales Header and the user almost always filters on Location Code and Shipment Date and in many cases on the Customer as well. By providing fields for the user to enter filter values for these specific fields the user can quickly and easily filter the list or sales orders. Using the built in filterpane to do this is just too much effort when it is something that is done all the time.
  • Options
    matttrax wrote:
    Now how do I get it to open in a new window without right clicking on it?
    You can't. Selections in the Navigation Pane of the role center always open in the role center (unless you right click). The selections in the Navigation Pane should only display lists that can then be used to launch task windows from. You will never find something like the Sales Price page or the Navigate page in the Navigation Pane of a role center. Instead you can run them from the Actions button. This is not quite the "one click" access to the user's common tasks that seems to be one of the key selling points for the RTC. Also, there doesn't seem to be any way to promote role center actions and reports like you can with most other types of pages.
  • Options
    jreynolds wrote:
    This is not quite the "one click" access to the user's common tasks that seems to be one of the key selling points for the RTC.

I couldn't have said it better. It's always fun trying to explain why you have to go to one place to do one thing and another place to do something similar.

At this point I'm seeing little purpose to the "Navigation Pane" on the left hand side of the RTC. It just re-lists what you have cues for in the activities section and you can only add other list pages to it if you want them to function correctly with one-click. You also can't use separators or logically group anything turning it into a big mess (see my other posts). I think this part of the RTC needs A LOT of work.

I guess I will reluctantly mark this as solved.