Navision manuals - No opening entries

getegete Member Posts: 76
HI,

I gone through all Navision manuals , but MICROSOFT did not point out the opening balances.
Why Microsoft did not explain how to enter the opening balances in Navision about customer, vendor, item , chart of accounts .

Is there any special document can I have about the opening entries which is released by Microsoft.

Thanks and regards

Comments

• kapil4dynamicskapil4dynamics Member Posts: 591
    I don't think there is any specific document given by Microsoft. :(
    Kapil Khanna
  • AdamRoueAdamRoue Member Posts: 1,283
    This is not Microsofts role, it is not how you use the system, it is how you setup and configure the system, and they do not tell you how to do this.

You can manually enter the values, you can dataport them in, you can write routines to bring them in. This will depend upon the legacy system data, what format it is in, the volume of the data, the accuracy of the data and the route the client wants to take.

It is up to you to understand the options and apply them best to each customer, and generally talk them out of spending a lot of money on wasted poor data in a new system that works completeley differently.

Have a search of the forum, there are many many questions posted on opening balances.
    The art of teaching is clarity and the art of learning is to listen
  • matttraxmatttrax Member Posts: 2,309
    Yes, if you understand the system it shouldn't be hard to figure out how to create the opening balances. The entries get posted to the ledger through a Journal in day-to-day activities, so the initial import (usually) shouldn't be any different. Import into a Journal, then post. This will make sure all of the correct supplemental tables are filled in correctly and post with the business logic that NAV needs to make sure everything will work.
  • idiotidiot Member Posts: 651
    gete wrote:
    HI,

I gone through all Navision manuals , but MICROSOFT did not point out the opening balances.
    Why Microsoft did not explain how to enter the opening balances in Navision about customer, vendor, item , chart of accounts .

Is there any special document can I have about the opening entries which is released by Microsoft.

Thanks and regards

This is where you get to identify the experienced consultants vs junior consultants.
    NAV - Norton Anti Virus

ERP Consultant (not just Navision) & Navision challenger
  • getegete Member Posts: 76
    idiot wrote:

This is where you get to identify the experienced consultants vs junior consultants.

How do u became Senoir my dear friend.

to became senior , first u need to work as a junior.

that means every senior previous worked as junior.

so first junior need to know that thing.
    AdamRoue wrote:
    This is not Microsofts role, it is not how you use the system, it is how you setup and configure the system, and they do not tell you how to do this.

How can u tell that it is not Mricrosfoft role . if they dont tell how to do this , then can i know who will tell .
    Well the juniors learn from seniors, these forums, and experience.

Feel free to have the argument with Microsoft and get them to tell you how you should migrate the opening balances.

In every implementation I have done the need has been different, the requirements altered, the migration routines manual, scripted or dataported, with manual intervention and additions of new required information.

All you can do is understand the options - Microsoft DO give you the tools, developement skills, dataports, understanding of the system. They then let you take the tools and apply them. There are lots in the manuals of the functionality of NAV, they do not tell you how to implement it. In the same manner the manuals tell you about the tools to migrate, you need to apply them to the business you are facing - your skill, knowledge and understanding is ultimately what the client is paying for, otherwise they would buy NAV, read the manual on Customersouce and successfully implement it themselves.
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    gete wrote:
    You are right, every junior must learn. When I started as a junior, I had a whole bunch of senior people around me to ask questions about. So then get a senior involved and let them show you how to do it. It is not Microsoft's responsibility to take you by the hand and tell you how to do your job.

If you have specific questions on how to do a certain task, this forum is an excellent resource. BUT, if you have no clue about the entire process, this is definately NOT the right place to be. You need to get help from a senior, that you can go to their desk and ask questions, and that that can come sit with you at your desk and go over these things.

Lesson number one: take responsibility of developing your skills. Don't complain about others for 'not giving you what you need', they don't know what you need unless you tell them. Take control and get the information that you need, ask for it, make sure someone helps you.
    gete wrote:
    How do u became Senoir my dear friend.

Junior & senior are subjective & always in comparison.
    You can start off with knowing how your jurisdiction conducts business, the tax & laws associated, then move on to ERP with relation to that jurisdiction so you know what to expect. You do not necessarily need to work as a junior to become senior.
    In this way you avoid being newbie where you ask things like what is Sales Order or what is debit/credit & avoid embarrassing yourself in front of your client.
    Something extra: I left my previous company as a junior because I find the seniors there always asking funny questions which is detrimental to clients' confidence.
    NAV - Norton Anti Virus

• kapil4dynamicskapil4dynamics Member Posts: 591
    At least for FA MS has given from 5.0 onwards in online help. Rest of them are still not there and i agree to the guys that scenario changes every now and then so u cant have it as a standard. :)
    Kapil Khanna
    At least for FA MS has given from 5.0 onwards in online help. Rest of them are still not there and i agree to the guys that scenario changes every now and then so u cant have it as a standard. :)
    What u mean by changes every now, so u cannot have it standard.
    Opening entries process will change every time based on the person.
    Let me know
    idiot wrote:
    You can start off with knowing how your jurisdiction conducts business, the tax & laws associated, then move on to ERP with relation to that jurisdiction so you know what to expect. You do not necessarily need to work as a junior to become senior.
    In this way you avoid being newbie where you ask things like what is Sales Order or what is debit/credit & avoid embarrassing yourself in front of your client.
    Customers have no problem having a junior asking basic rookie questions, they expect this from juniors. They also expect that when they get a junior, that this junior gets proper assistance to do their job. To me it is not the juniors that embarrass themselves, but the consulting company for sending a rookie to customers by themselves.

And no... you cannot avoid being a newbie. When you start out you lack experience to go out to customers by yourself, and you need proper assistance (training, guidance, mentor, seniors to help you). The problem here really is not the juniors, it's the companies who don't properly train and mentor new people, or who send rookies to customers without guidance.
    DenSter wrote:
    Customers have no problem having a junior asking basic rookie questions, they expect this from juniors. They also expect that when they get a junior, that this junior gets proper assistance to do their job. To me it is not the juniors that embarrass themselves, but the consulting company for sending a rookie to customers by themselves.

And no... you cannot avoid being a newbie. When you start out you lack experience to go out to customers by yourself, and you need proper assistance (training, guidance, mentor, seniors to help you). The problem here really is not the juniors, it's the companies who don't properly train and mentor new people, or who send rookies to customers without guidance.

There's definitely this problem of companies sending experts to become newbies due to lack of manpower, etc...

In a certain sense yes, for small systems like MYOB, but when you are dealing with an ERP that might go into hundreds of thousands, customers don't expect elementary questions like what does FIFO stand for.
    Companies are responsible for developing the talents in their companies, but its the people themselves that must make an effort to know the basics like what an ERP is before starting to work with any software in the genre, what tax the state is charging before embarking into that territory.

As mentioned comparison is always relative, you might be an expert in implementing for tax free countries, but you become newbie for VAT charging countries if you fail to find out how VAT is charged. You can avoid being a newbie. You can either learn through working as end user or read before becoming consultant, or become consultant without knowledge of what debit/credit is.
    NAV - Norton Anti Virus

Every project that I have ever been involved with that was big enough to have teams of juniors and seniors, no customer has ever objected to a junior asking any question, even the most basic ones. One example of where things became problematic is when a customer needed onsite assistance to install their production system, and they got someone in their first week that had never done it before. Lots of angry people at the customer, and free re-work came out of that situation. You can send in the most inexperienced person to a customer, as long as you give that person the right assistance, and as long as the customer knows who is coming in.

What is most important is that you are up front about who has what experience, so that the customer doesn't expect senior level advice from a rookie.

Oh and I'll repeat myself again: you cannot avoid being a newbie. Your experience has to start somewhere.
    DenSter wrote:
    ...Your experience has to start somewhere.

The point is there are things that can be done to avoid being newbie consultant, the experienced could have started somewhere else, maybe in school even.
    The person could have got himself certified prior to starting work (with Nav if it mattered) & not be a newbie.
    He could have worked at enduser & seen how others done it before becoming consultant.
    NAV - Norton Anti Virus

• DeepDeep Member Posts: 569
    Actually what I have noticed mostly is that most of the juniors feel ashamed or embarrased asking questions to their immediete seniors who are available, as they presume that "Others will think me as a fool".
    In my view, its better to be a fool once, rather that being a fool everytime thereafter, if I dont ask. :|
    Regards,

Deep
    India
  • PerJuhlPerJuhl Member Posts: 55
    gete wrote:
    HI,

Thanks and regards

Did you get this fixed ?

BR Per
    Bizarre.

There is nothing to "fix" as nothing is "broken". Learn how to do this from the tools provided - or is your "fixed" question going somewhere else?
    idiot wrote:
    The point is there are things that can be done to avoid being newbie consultant, the experienced could have started somewhere else, maybe in school even.
    No you are missing the point. YOU CANNOT AVOID being a newbie. You can get ten different degrees, a PhD in consulting in school, you can get all the certification that you want, read all the manuals, but you will STILL be a newbie. The ONLY WAY to get rid of newbie status is by real life experience. Good education might make the process go faster, but there simply is no way around being a newbie.

You are mixing up 'newbie' and 'not knowing anything'. I've seen the most certified consultants with masters degrees make absolute fools of themselves because they THINK they know everything. There is nothing more annoying than a newbie that thinks they are not a newbie.
  • genericgeneric Member Posts: 511
    Newbie are not the only ones that don't know anything. I've seen most experienced people that have stooped learning and researching and make fools of themselves. With every new version of NAV, most Consultants do not do their homework and learn the changes that have happened and when shit hits the fan that they learn.
    I work for a large consulting company and I've seen this time over time, over time.
    Sadly the environment is not built for learning. You have to do it on your own time. Most peoples salary depends on how much they bill. So they learn at customer expense. As is the case with sending newbies on site.
    Lack of investment in newbies and expereinced consultants when the versions change is the responsibility of the reseller in my opinion. They sell the package on teh basis of what it can do and what they can do - if they do not train staff on the current version but sell it they will come unstuck - the saving grace for the business is if the consultant learns this themselves, thereby costing them no money and no issues. Frankly do they really care anyway, the consultant is on site, it is on the consultant plate, only if it comes back as a sales issue will the consultant get it in the neck, when it is not actually the fault of the consultant - as stated, billing is king, no matter whether this is bonus driven or not. This gets worse when we talk about add-ons that are sold irregularly, the presales guys know the gloss, no one knows the guts of implementing it. As a consultant you do the best you can and let the customer and employer discuss invoice rates and credits :D

Investment in training pays off, simple as.

As for the newbie status, personally I revert back to newbie status with each release, I just have a wider base platform. Having cross trained in AX I am now an inexperienced AX consultant who has many many years of NAV experience that has now halted at version 4. Caught between two stools then :D
    I think the definition by various parties of newbie is as such:
    behaves like one (generic, DenSter's)
    other,self thinks he is one (AdamRoue)
    really is one (mine)
    classified as one (DenSter's)
    ](*,)
    NAV - Norton Anti Virus