Item card- Incorrect Qty on Prod Order

fredp1fredp1 Member Posts: 86
Hi,
I'm having a problem with the Item card is not showing the correct qty on a Production Order when the item card is launched from the sales Order subform.

When viewing an Item by launching from the menu, the item card shows the qty on Prod order is 300, made up of 3 Prod Orders(100 each).
However, when viewing a Sales order line for that exact same item, then you launch the item card from the Sales subform, the item card shows a qty on Prod order as 100, made up of 1 prod order.

This is causing some incorrect calculations for MRP, but I cannot work out where the problem might be.
From a MRP point of view, the 3 Prod orders are firm planned(not release with no lot tracking), but only the first Prod order has order tracking back to the sales order. The other 2 sales orders have no order tracking, with no allocation. MRP should be suggesting to cancel these other orders.
The first prod order is in the same month as the sales order, while the other two orders are in the next month with the same due date.
As far as I know, I didn't think that any of this is relevant when looking at the qty on a prod on the item card.

We are running Nav 5.01, SQL Server 2005- 64Bit

Any ideas where to start looking?
Thanks
Fred

Answers

• AdamRoueAdamRoue Member Posts: 1,283
    Maybe I misunderstand

You have 3 sales orders, each for 100 - why should you cancel the other 2 orders? It is not about allocation, it is about the supply-demand balance.

I know you at least have one sales order for 100, but the other 2 sales orders I am unclear about.

If you launch the item card from the sales line it will come prefixed with a flow filter, so you will need to look at these settings. My simple guess is you are filtering out the other information. Essentially NAV gives you the information pre-filtered when you launch from a line with the details already defined, not something it does when you go to the item card itself.
    The art of teaching is clarity and the art of learning is to listen
  • fredp1fredp1 Member Posts: 86
    Hi,

I have 1 sales order - qty 100 for a particular item.
    There are 3 Prod orders in Nav with a qty of 100 each. An over supply of 200 exists for that item.

The problem is that when you launch the item card from the menu, it shows qty on Prod order = 300 and qty on sales order = 100. This is correct.
    However, when you launch the item card from the sales order subform, the item card shows qty on prod order = 100 and qty on sales order =100.
    I do not understand why the item card shows a qty on prod Order as 100 when it's launched from the Sales Order subform... it should be 300. Launching the item card via the menu or subform should display the same results.
    I'm newish to Nav,so i'm not very clear where to look. I've tried to clear the field filter, but MRP is having the same issue... I think its only "seeing" 1 prod order... which means the supply equals demand. If it saw all 3 prod orders, then the supply(qty 300) is greater then the demand(100) it would be suggesting to cancel the 2 Prod orders.

It sound like a filter is in place that I cannot find.
    This is happening for all users that are working on this problem.

Thanks

I hope this is clearer.
    Launch the item card from the sales order subform.
    Press the Flowfilter button - what are the settings?

Go to the Firm Planned orders and analyse the fields that were preset in the filter.

As simple example if your order is on WHS location and the 2 production orders for 100 are on a blank location they would be filtered out.

Load 100 on a firm planned order on WHS1, load another on WHS2. Go to the sales line and specify WHS1. If you go to the item card it will tell you there are 100 on production, as the flow filter is prefiltered with WHS1.
    Hi Adam,

Thanks for your reply. The flow filter was filtering out the other 2 prod orders... when I removed the date filter from the flow filter all prod orders appeared.
    I was hoping that this would answer why when we calculate the Regenerative plan in the planning worksheet, Nav was not asking to cancel the 2 over supply prod orders.

Just to clarify, that I have a over supply for a item, and the planning worksheet is not suggesting a action message to cancel the 2 firm planned prod orders that are not needed. There is no Order tracking for these 2 prod orders. The reservation entry table shows a oversupply for these 2 prod orders too.
    Any suggestions?

Thanks
    What location is set on the FPO?
    What location is set in the Manufacturing Setup "Components at Location" setting?
    What version are you running?
    Are you using SKU's?
    Hi Adman,

The location for the FPO and SO are the same as is the Manufacturing Setup component location.
    I had SKU's for the item, but even deleting them made no difference.
    Version is 5.0sp1

I notices on the reservation table/form that the 2 suplus FPO had been flagged as suppress action message.

Thanks for any help.

Fred
    I have a memory that states there are no action messages for FPO's because you have firmed them, I then had an argument with Microsoft. But this could easily be something I dreamt, and would have neen back in the 4 days if it happened.

I do not have access to NAV currently, but when I do I will create a new order and see what it says - it maybe that it is just the way it works.
    Hi Adam,
    I think you may have hit the nail on the head.
    I've had a closer look at the help on FPO and this is what it said...

Planned Production Order
    The Planned Production Order is unique because of the following characteristics:
    You can automatically create a planned production order from a sales order.
    Planned production orders are like released production orders and provide input to capacity requirements planning by showing the total capacity requirements by work centre or machine centre.
    A planned production order represents the best estimate of the future load for the work centre or machine centre load based on available information. Typically, they are generated from planning, but can also be created manually. Because they are erased during subsequent planning generations, manual creation is not practical.
    Their generation in planning results in a suggested "planned order release" that includes quantity, release date, and due date. The planning system logic is based on the replenishment system, reorder policies, and order modifiers that it encounters in the net requirements planning process.
    To view their impact, look at the load for each work centre or machine centre on the planned production order's routing.

Firm Planned Production Order
    The Firm Planned Production Order is unique because of the following characteristics:
    You can automatically create a firm planned production order from a sales order.
    A firm planned production order acts as a placeholder in the planning schedule for some future job released to the floor.
    A firm planned production order can be generated from planning or created manually or from sales orders. They are not erased during subsequent planning.
    Their generation in planning results in a suggested "planned order release" that includes: quantity, release date, and due date. The planning system logic is based on the replenishment system, reorder policies, and order modifiers that it encounters in the net requirements planning process.
    To view their impact, look at the load for each work centre or machine centre on the firm planned production order's routing.

I was expecting that until a Order is released, then MRP should be suggesting a cancellation!

The question now becomes, if Demand disappears, then how do you view the surplus supply?
    Thanks for helping out with this issue. I've got Microsoft on the case too and I'll see what they say as we are just implementing Nav.

Does anyone know how to view surplus supply? i.e. a Sales order was raised, a Firm planned order was raised, then the Sales order is removed.
    Production may be left with a FPO that is not needed and bringing raw material too!
    I can see from the reservation table that the FPO's are in surplus, but is there a report to check?

Thanks
    Hi Adam,

What we found that if you have FPO, the MRP will suggest a cancellation(for unreleased FPO) on surplus Prod Orders with the ReOrdering Policy is Lot-forLot.
    Recently we changed it to fixed reorder qty so MRP would not suggest a cancellation.

Thanks for you help again.
    Thanks for the update

I disagree with the approach Microsoft have taken here, which is why I never implement firm planned orders, but if you are aware of it and it still works then this is fine. Fixed reorder takes the inventory level to a predefined level, a firm planned order is a committment to this - if you are over producing it should tell you to cancel this :D Just my opinion though. Lot-for-Lot says this is only valid if the defined production is related to a sales order and no other inventory modifier, which is frankly rubbish to restrict it in this manner.
    Hi Adam,

I have found out from our partner, that when NAV cannot cancel a FPO when the item card has a reordering policy of <> lot-for-lot is a bug. It works in v4 and 2009.
    They will fix it and all will be sweet.

Cheers