Item Dataport

ramkumartramkumart Member Posts: 20
In Item table i increased the description size from 30 to 200. Then i made a dataport to import the values when i am importing it throws an error 'The length of the source exceeds the size of the destination buffer'.it allows only 76 characters.If i create a new table and set the size to 200 its getting uploaded,These error comes if i modify any standard table like Customer,Vendor Name field from text 30 to 200.Any one has faced this error before,If so please tell how to rectify it.

Thanks & Regards
T.Ramkumar

Comments

• JPHSCJPHSC Member Posts: 67
    try to use a variable (text200) in the dataport, and set this to Item Description?
  • ramkumartramkumart Member Posts: 20
    HI JPHSC,

I created a new variable with text 200 and assigned this to Item Description as u said. But it stills throwing the same error as mentioned before.
  • ashbhardwajashbhardwaj Member Posts: 89
    what abt search description ,,,have u changed this field also????
    check with debugger....is there any validation which is causing issue......
    Just change ShowStatus in the data port properties to No and the problem is gone. Now you will be able to export / import the data
    :^o \:D/
    Hi ashbhardwaj
    Its working thanks a lot, can u please tell why its working when we give show status as no.

Thanks & Regards
    T.Ramkumar
  • SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
    if you changed the description size of the item and didn't change it everywhere in the system where it is used, be prepared for more errors appearing.

There are many posts about changing field lengths - search the forum
    Hi Ram
    Thanks...
    Take care of this change , Yes Harry you are right.....
    or you have to change this field everywhere.....

you can use new field for that...why you require to change the field length....
    i changed the description in most tables and checked the flow till now no error occured.
  • SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
    ramkumart wrote:
    most tables.
    :shock:

You need to find ALL tables & forms & Reports & Codeunits.. Did you use the Developer toolkit??

Use search.php to search for "Field Length"
    Read the posts. - You'll see many good options.

Mainly creating a custom field and using that field where you need it instead of changing field lengths.
    Also any upgrade be prepared to change this field everywhere again & again.