Developers Toolkit for Microsoft Dynamics NAV

eCodeeCode Member Posts: 12
I am upgrading first time from 4.0 SP3 to 5.0 SP1. I followed upgrade toolkit doc and had done steps 1-7. In step 8 there you are ask to "import the new customized objects created in compare and merge process." I am stuck in here, don't know how to start with devkit. How to know what have to be changed in 4.0 SP3 code in order to make it work in 5.0 SP1? How to compare code with DevKit.

When I try to use Merge wizard, I could not fill any version etc. What version of Developers Toolkit for Microsoft Dynamics NAV I need? Of course everything can be found in docs, but I still like ask how to do compare and merge process.

Comments

• KowaKowa Member Posts: 923
    If you want to use the automatic 3-way merge of the NDT, you need the old base 4.0 SP3 version, the customers 4.0 SP3 and the new base 5.0 SP1. But this tool has some bugs especially when merging tables ( cuts fields from primary keys and deletes secondary keys sometimes) so I only use this for other object types. But there are lots of other 3-way merge tools available (Beyond compare, Araxis Merge). Personally, I use Ellié Computing Merge for all larger projects, this does all that can be done automatically and is much faster than the NDT too.

Open Source 3-way merge programs are also available (http://kdiff3.sourceforge.net/), but not as advanced in terms of project management and automatic merging which can save you hours or even days.
    Kai Kowalewski