Database Conversion Message

BeliasBelias Member Posts: 2,998
Hi everyone, I have one database on SQL that makes me a bit crazy.
Let's begin from the beginning.
2-3 years ago, a customer changed version from nav 4 no SP to nav 4SP3.
No problems with the migration. After that I took a copy of the db and i restored it on my pc for development purposes.
Time passed and i've had no problems using the database, until I restored this db on Q3 or Q4 of 2008 (indicatively).
during this time I installed/uninstalled some versions of nav.
Anyway, now, when I try to open the db with 4SP3 version (i'm sure it is that version), i receive the typical message for conversion of the db and then i can open it with 4SP3 only (which is the expected result).
My question is: why?
i'm sure the db is 4SP3 and i'm sure my client is 4sp3, too...what's the problem?I can't figure it out ](*,)
thanks in advance
-Mirko-
"Never memorize what you can easily find in a book".....Or Mibuso
My Blog

Answers

• kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    There is difference between some updates on NAV 4.00SP3. If it is native DB, look for value at position 0x2004 in the database (use some Hex editor to read the value). If it is MS SQL DB, look for DB Version no. in the $ndo$dbproperty table. You can lookup the version of DB from e.g. table on this url.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
    kine wrote:
    look for value at position 0x2004 in the database (use some Hex editor to read the value)

That's wacked! How would you even know this :lol::lol:
    You're amazing! =D>
    This time the credit goes to author of http://gotcal.com - Søren Nielsen

I have just read his blog... ;-)
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • BeliasBelias Member Posts: 2,998
    :-k
    kine, you're speaking arabian for me..anyway, my db is sql, i wrote it in a tricky way, i admit :mrgreen:
    Hi everyone, I have one database on SQL that makes me a bit crazy.
    let's see what can I do
    -Mirko-
    My Blog
    edited 2009-04-03
    If it is SQL, there is table $ndo$dbproperty i it and in this table is field "databaseversionno" and in this field is some value. This value will tell you which version of NAV you need to use to open this database.

e.g. value 60 means NAV 4.00SP3, but value 63 means NAV 4.00SP3 Update 6 and newer. It meas, still NAV 4.00SP3, but different update, and this is I think your source of your craziness ... ;-)

Complete table of versions I have is this:
    Description							Min. File Version	Max. File Version	DB Version (Native)	DB Version (SQL)
    Navision 2.60						2.60.0.0		2.60.9999.9999	14				?
    Microsoft Dynamics NAV 3.70B			3.70.0.0		3.70.9999.9999	16				17
    Microsoft Dynamics NAV 4.00				4.0.0.0		4.0.0.99999						30
    Microsoft Dynamics NAV 4.00 SP1			4.0.1.0		4.0.1.99999						
    Microsoft Dynamics NAV 4.00 SP2			4.0.2.0		4.0.2.99999		17				40
    Microsoft Dynamics NAV 4.00 SP3			4.0.3.0		4.0.3.25142		18				60
    Microsoft Dynamics NAV 4.00 SP3 Update 6	4.0.3.25143		4.0.3.99999						63
    Microsoft Dynamics NAV 5.00				5.0.0.0		5.0.26083.0						80
    Microsoft Dynamics NAV 5.00 SP1			5.0.26084.0		5.0.28028.0		19				95
    Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2009				6.0.27808.0		6.0.28813.0		25				140

If there is no value, it means that it is same with previous version or it is unknown for me. The Min and Max file version is version of the .exe file (not accurate, only aproximate).

By this table you are able to find out which version of NAV is the .exe file and which version of DB is the SQL or .fdb. After that it is easy to open correct version of nav for selected DB... ;-)
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
    found the ndo$dbproperty...it's 63 for the converted database...now i'm restoring the backup another time...and let's see..
    now, another question...what if i change the value manually?I mean, i don't think it's a good thing to do, but i'd like to know what are the problems in doing this...
    and about fdb, do you mean to open the database with an hex editor: right clicking, open with...?(where can i find an hex editor?)
    thanks a lot to share your knowledge, this forum trains me more than working? :mrgreen:
    -Mirko-
    My Blog
    gotcha!!it's 60!!
    =D>
    now i try to modify it :twisted:
    bwahahahah! it works!!
    -Mirko-
    My Blog
    It work with dangerous effects (e.g. when "downgrading" from version with new SIFT technology to older one etc.).

The HEX editor means some HEX editor you can download from internet and which is able to show you the file in HEX format. E.g. Total commander viewer (F3, and select the Options -HEX, there is position on the left and values in the table for each byte in the file).
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
    ok, thanks a lot!
    -Mirko-
    My Blog
    edited 2009-04-03
    ok, my customer has client 4.0.3.23305...where can i find such an old client? ](*,)
    I have now 3 ways to work
    1. i change the value from 60 to 63, i do my work (which is delete "non setup" data) and then i change the value back to 63: could this be dangerous?
    2. I retrieve in some way this old build of nav and then work (best solution but hard to do as i don't have a VPN to the customer and i don't know how to get the client from them)
    3. delete data directly from sql, knowing the exact tables i have to clear. (also this solution is a bit risky, as business logic is not executed, but i don't think it's a problem as i am only deleting data)

can you please help me to choose the best solution? thanks in advance
    -Mirko-
    My Blog
    It is the initial release of NAV 4.00SP3 (with all the bugs...). It will be better to do technical upgrade of the client... (it is not Vista compatible etc.)

You do not need to work on same version as client. It is needed only when you want to replicate some error your client have. You can work with newer client without problems, the objects will be compatible (if you will use e.g. newer NAV 4.00SP3 client...)
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
    kine, are you telling me that if i convert the database with my sp3, my customer's clients will be able to open it anyway?
    I thought that it should be better to do a tech upgrade, but i have to determine if it is an applicable solution. (i don't know anything about licensing and so on). I'll check it with salesperson.

EDIT: approved, i'll go for the tech upgrade.
    -Mirko-
    My Blog
    No, they will not be able to open it, but you are not transfering whole databases, only objects, doesn't you?
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
    whole database, that's the problem...i didn't explain very well on this point, sorry.
    this is the situation: i got a backup from a customer, then i clear unnecessary tables, and then i bring this backup on another database (it's something like a new company which starts from the old company's data)
    summary:
    old backup (it's a sql backup) -> old nav client, then i open the old restored db with my new luminous and beautiful client, i convert it and i restore on the new database the cleaned backup. after that i install the new versions of nav client on my customer's pcs (hope to find some beautiful girl 8) )
    -Mirko-
    My Blog