Query about desktop shortcut for Navision Client

engsiong75engsiong75 Member Posts: 143
Hi

I am having a customer who is on Navision 2009 W1. They are using SQL Server 2008. I need to have a shortcut on their desktop to launch Navision with a specific userid.

I have tried the all combinations of the changing the Target script on the shortcut icon but I have no success.

This is my script:
"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Dynamics NAV\60\Classic\finsql.exe" servername=servername, database=database_name, ID=userid, ntauthentication=0, company=Company_name

I have tried moving the position of the ID=userid around but I did not have any success.

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Dynamics NAV\60\Classic\finsql.exe" ID=userid, servername=servername, database=database_name, ntauthentication=0, company=Company_name

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Dynamics NAV\60\Classic\finsql.exe" servername=servername, ID=userid, database=database_name, ntauthentication=0, company=Company_name

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Dynamics NAV\60\Classic\finsql.exe" servername=servername, , database=database_name, ntauthentication=0, ID=userid, company=Company_name

I discovered that I will always get a blank User ID field when I click on the shortcut. Is this a standard for SQL shortcuts?

Thank you,

Tan Eng Siong

Comments

• kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    ID is used only for naming the .zup file, not for logging in some specific user. You cannot login user through parameters. If you need automatic login, you need to use Windows Authentication, not DB authentication...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • engsiong75engsiong75 Member Posts: 143
    The problem is that there are users with more than one login. As such, one of their id is already a windows login id. If the users login in and out of the windows, it is quite tedious and time consuming. Hence the plan to use the shortcuts for login purposes.

Are there any good solutions besides remote logins?
  • AndreBAndreB Member Posts: 18
    What is the reason for having different logons?
    If it is only for getting a different role, you can give the shortcut a parameter to a different role.
    If not please tell us more about the reasons.
  • Ian_Piddington10199Ian_Piddington10199 Member Posts: 167
    You could create 2 database shortcuts to specify windows vs. database authentication then you would either automatically login or be prompted for a password, but that is as close as you will get.

I agree with Andre though why do they need to log in under different logons, what are they trying do accomplish?

Ian
    Regards

Ian
  • engsiong75engsiong75 Member Posts: 143
    I already have done what Ian recommended. The reason for the dual logins is due to the approval is that certain managers have to cover for other their superiors. However, they only want some managers to see the approval entries meant for them (Either by Windows ID or by the database login id that allows them to substitute their superiors.).