Rebuild item history

haererhohaererho Member Posts: 3
Hello developers,

due to erroneous item ledger entries and corresponding applications (current version is 3.70B, history data since 1999, navision 2.0) - there exist wrong item applications, some entries have wrong invoiced qty. values and other errors - i am currently wondering whether or no it is possible to manage a complete rebuild of the history of an item, using the item journal.
I know that the easiest way would be closing the old item and setting up a new one with the proper initial inventory. It's only that my customer won't accept that solution.
Aim is to keep (almost) every information of the original item ledger, such as source numbers, types, date of delivery, date of invoicing etc.

Scenarios
a) Manipulate the original ledger entry that way, that it's beeing replaced by the new one... ( ](*,) )
b) Using a copy of the original item

The valuation of the item is not being posted to the G/L. Manufacturing is not in use.

Is there anybody who knows a good approach on that case? Maybe there already exists a tool which can repost an item's history from one navision version to another?

Your hints and tips are welcome.

Regards,
Heiko.

Comments

• matttraxmatttrax Member Posts: 2,309
    I think you'll run into a problem. It's one thing to rebuild them from a sales invoice or purchase invoice, but what about a posted Item Journal? In that case you'd be using a ledger entry to rebuild a ledger entry. And no way to know if it is correct or not (or maybe you do, but I can't think of a way).

And it won't be just rebuilding the Item Ledger Entries. Don't forget about Value Entry, Item Entry Relation, Value Entry Relation, Ledger Entry Dimension, etc. You'll want to use the developer's toolkit and find everything that has a table relation to the Item Ledger Entry No. If you end up changing the primary key all of those related tables have to be changed too.

It's a BIG job.
  • ajhvdbajhvdb Member Posts: 672
    Why not show the customer the history of shipments lines and history of invoice lines in a form.
  • haererhohaererho Member Posts: 3
    First of all, thank you for your replies.

I know about the many depencies in the system. It's only the item ledgers (and with them the value entries, dimensions and so on) i want to "recreate". As matttrax statet: [...] In that case you'd be using a ledger entry to rebuild a ledger entry [...]

That's exactly what I imagine...

1. Read Item Ledger Entry - Closed ones, completely invoiced, ...
    2. Generate Item journal Line based on that ILE, using the new item no.
    3. Post Item Journal properly.

Is there a way - or will that be just driving me nuts?