Options

Configuring the two Microsoft Dynamics NAV Server services

njaikunjaiku Member Posts: 116
edited 2009-05-26 in NAV Three Tier
Hi,

I have two databases (ex : DB1 & DB2) in my machine. When i open the RTC it gets connected to the default database DB1. In order to connect to the second database DB2 I have created the another service in my machine in the name of Microsoft Dynamics NAV Server Instance 2 . I want to know how to proceed further to connect to the second database DB2 with RTC connection.
Jai

Comments

• Options
    kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    1) You posted into wrong forum (you do not need to do anything with that now, moderators will move the post into right one)
    2) You need to configure second NST (NAV Service Tier) - and there are external tools for doing that (else you need to do it manually). See my blog, search the forum, I am sure that you will find them...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
    krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,090
    [Topic moved from 'Navision Financials' forum to 'NAV 2009 (formerly NAV 5.1/'6.0')' forum]
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!

• Options
    davesdaves Member Posts: 49
    There is an applicable Help topic in the C/SIDE Reference Guide with the title "Walkthrough: Accessing Multiple Midrosoft Dynamics NAV Databases from a Single Microsoft Dynamics NAV server Computer" This Walkthrough takes you through the steps of setting up a second instance of the NAV Server and then using a single client to access two databases via two NAV Servers.

There are a couple of errors/oversights in the Help file.
    1) It doesn't matter whether or not the client is on a separate computer.
    2) The steps referencing activating port sharing need to be done prior to Starting the new Service for a test.
    3) Whenever any Create or Delete change is made to the NAV Server setup, close and reopen the Services snap-in (this may not always be required, but it seems to help the system not get confused).
    4) When providing the database name in the Customsetting.config file for your second NAV Server, you may have to experiment to get the right string. Use the standard Customsetting.config setup information as a guide, comparing it to the name that you see in File | Database | Alter.

Once all this is successful, the instructions in the "Testing the Second Service" section tell you how to connect to one service or the other. It works great!
    Dave Studebaker
    Co-Founder Liberty Grove Software
    Author: Programming Microsoft Dynamics NAV (V5.0), 2009, 2013