Options

KEY Field used by WEb Services

MalhodyMalhody Member Posts: 14
edited 2009-03-27 in NAV Three Tier
Hey Guys,

i got to use some pages as a web service and when i want to create an dynamic gridview, the first field is "Key", it's value is like: 300;uhMAAACJATEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA=6;2631040;

this is key field from contact record......

why is this key so important???? primary key is Contact."No." and would identify the record...

help needed... thanks alot

ps: sorry for bad english :/

Comments

• Options
    kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    It is bookmark which identifies the record inside NAV. You can get it through "FORMAT(RecRef.RecordID,0,10)". It is used e.g. when using URL to open RTC page, to connect hyperlinks from NAV RTC report to NAV page etc.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
    freddy.dkfreddy.dk Member, Microsoft Employee Posts: 360
    Actually the key and the bookmark are two different things.
    The bookmark is used for interaction with the RoleTailored Client and can be retrieved with the FORMAT statement described.

The key is important because it gives you not only an indication of which record we talk about, but also which version of that record - this way you cannot update a record which have been updated by other people - you will get an exception - btw. people can rename the No. of a record.

Admitted it looks ugly and long - but you shouldn't ever have to look at it - and if you display things in lists you should find a way of making it invisible.
    Freddy Kristiansen
    Group Program Manager, Client
    Microsoft Dynamics NAV
    http://blogs.msdn.com/freddyk

The information in this post is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. This post does not represent the thoughts, intentions, plans or strategies of my employer. It is solely my opinion.