NAV 5.0 to SP1

FishermanFisherman Member Posts: 456
We're trying to move to 5.0 SP1 from a 5.0 installation with quite a few modifications due to a 3rd party solution that we've purchased. What's the recommended method to upgrade? We've always exported our objects to text and used a DiffMerge utility to merge code, but is there a better way?

Comments

• ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,256
    That's the safest way to do it.

I suggest to move to 2009 instead. Just classic. Think of 2009 classic as 5.0 sp2.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
    BTW I use CodeWright text compare tool.

Other people use Beyond Compare.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini

• DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    I used to use codewright, and switched to Beyond Compare. I like Beyond Compare MUCH better.

By the way, I agree with Rashed, if you're going to upgrade, go to 2009. If you're not ready for RTC yet, you can still use the classic client, but have the option to implement the RTC in phases.
    what features do you like that werent in CodeWright?
    Ahmed Rashed Amini

• FishermanFisherman Member Posts: 456
    I've never used the Upgrade utility from MS. Do either of you have any experience with it?

unfortunately, we're bound by our partner and the level that they are able to support with their vertical, and we're just getting onto Nav v5.1 right now.
    you don't need upgrade toolkit from 5.0 to 5.0 sp1. Are you referring to something else?
    Ahmed Rashed Amini

ara3n -

It's from customer source under Downloads. I haven't tried downloading them yet, so I can't tell you what it actually is...

Microsoft Dynamics NAV 5.0 Service Pack 1
    Last Modified 3/6/2009
    Posted 3/3/2008

Microsoft Dynamics NAV 5.0 SP1 is released and made available for download on this page.

On this page:

Overview
    Important Information
    Download Information
    Important Notice to Customers
    Downloads
    Support Information
    Overview

This release includes a significant amount of new application features and enhancements that will benefit existing partners and customers while attracting new customers.

Important Information

Microsoft Dynamics NAV 5.0 SP1 delivers the following:

New and enhanced application functionality to support increased business productivity (see list of the new and enhanced functionality in the “Changes in Microsoft Dynamics NAV 5.0 SP1 document” included in the release note).
    Even greater integration with other Microsoft products and technologies.
    C/SIDE and technology improvements.

Release note includes Change Doc, Whitepapers and Links to Training. Download here: (5.3MB)

Download Information

To download, please use the links below.
    Note: Download size on full versions is 470MB - 750MB

Upgrade toolkits are now released. The NAV 5.0 SP1 Upgrade toolkit corrects the issues that are described in KB article number 952193.

IMPORTANT NOTICE TO CUSTOMERS

We recommend that you contact your Microsoft Dynamics Partner before installing service packs or hot fixes. It is important to verify that your environment is compatible with the service pack(s) or hot fix(es) being installed. A service pack or hot fix may cause interoperability issues with customizations, and third-party products that work with your Microsoft Dynamics solution.
    Just out of curiosity, since I've never used one before, what do the Upgrade Toolkits do?
    upgrade toolkit is set of objects that are used to upgrade data when table structure changes.

For example in 3.6 bin code was in Item Ledger. In 3.7 bin code was removed. It is now in warehouse entry table only.

So in order to upgrade from 3.6 to 3.7 the upgrade toolkit moves the data to temp tables so that you can load the new object set, then run the second part of the routine that puts it correctly in 3.7 version.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini

You need to download the 5.0 sp1 DVD. Do an EXE upgrade first.

Then get the 5.0 sp1 database from you VAR with the vertical solution. Once you've downloaded the database merge you objects into the 5.0 sp1 database.

Export the objects and load them into you db.

You would do it in test environment first.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini

OK - so it's not guaranteed to preserve code changes or modifications, is what I'm gathering.

Crap. I've got a TON of objects to get through.

Man... I really miss object oriented devp with true version control. Would be so very nice to have partners implementing interfaces and deriving from base classes so that the MS code itself didn't change very much...

How well do you feel the automatic merge utilities work? Do you still find that you go through line-by-line on a lot of this stuff?
    Yep - already got the Nav 5.1 DVD. I was just starting on a plain old text merge when I decided to look and see if there was a better way. I've done several of them manually, and I'm just getting tired of it.
    Yes, they are mind numbing. You can always give it to the ISV to do it.
    I believe Lanham charges 500 to merge their objects into a db.

I usually quote 10 to 15 min per objects.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini

• DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    ara3n wrote:
    what features do you like that werent in CodeWright?
    I like the interface better, it's more pleasing to my eye, and I am much more productive with it. Plus the ability to compare folders, which my version of codewright did not have. Now I split full object file into individual files per object and compare folders. By merging objects one by one I see compile issues right away instead of after the whole object file is done, it works much better for me.
  • themavethemave Member Posts: 1,058
    So the real question is why is it so hard to apply a service pack. this really needs to be made less costly for the end user. It locks users into outdated versions, until finally they are on unsupported versions, all the while paying for maintance that gets them nothing more then the right to upgrade. Not an upgrade itself.

we are on 4.0 with no service pack, the first service pack 1 upgrade quote we got was $10,000 estimate to upgrade. never got another quote to see what SP2, would have cost, or SP3,

we now are looking at upgrading to 2009, but I am pretty confident, between the time we start the upgrade process and the time it is complete with testing and going live, there will be a 2009 sp1, which will cost us again to get installed.

sorry for not contributing to this persons solution, but sometimes I just have to complain a little.
  • genericgeneric Member Posts: 511
    Features such as
    viewtopic.php?f=32&t=32806

would lower the cost a lot.

And layering of Code would help a lot.

Two layers would be sufficient. First layer would MS std code

Second layer would be any modification.