Importing items and buom

kamranshehzadkamranshehzad Member Posts: 165
hi I am importing in some items through codeunit / xmlport and not validating buom.

when i add those items on PO system pops up with message

Microsoft Dynamics NAV Classic
The Item Unit of Measure does not exist.

Identification fields and values:

Item No.='X180023',Code='PCS'

Item No.: X180023, Code: PCS

OK

To fix it, i have to open item card and manually asign the UOM's .

can some one advise a solution?

Ill be importing in 100's of items on daily basis so manually assigning them is not a solution.

Kind regards,
KS

Answers

• DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    Items must have valid Item Units of Measure records, or you can't use them. You'll have to create them when you import the Items. This applies to base unit of measure, purchase unit of measure, as well as sales unit of measure. If they're all the same then you only need to create one "Item Unit of Measure" per item, but if they are not then you will need to create additional ones for the sales and purchase units as well, with proper conversion factors.

For existing items, I'd create a processing only report that runs through the Item table, and creates Item Unit of Measures for the base unit, using the same logic.

Come to think of it, I'd probably create a function in the item table that creates an item unit of measure, so that I can call it from other objects as well. Now creating the processing only report and the import routine can use this function, and you only have to write it in one place.
  • kamranshehzadkamranshehzad Member Posts: 165
    So you mean importing items with UOM (un validated) requires a separate validation function to re-assign items with UOM with conversion factor. I was using default UOM for importing items.

Ill try that.

regards,
    KS
    There is table called Item Unit of measure table id 5404. if i create a record in this, I believe this should do the job?

what do you suggest?

regards,
    KS
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    Yep that's the one. If you look at the Item Card, the lookup from the "Base Unit of Measure" actually looks up into the "Item Unit of Measure" table (table number 5404), filtered on the "No." field of the Item table. The Code field in that table then looks up into the "Unit of Measure" table (table number 204). So, you have a list of generic units of measure, which is what we call a supplementary table. You have the Item table, which is what we call a master table. To link the master table to the supplementary table, there is the "Item Unit of Measure" table, which we call a subsidiary table. By linking Items to Units of measure, you have a very flexible system where you can set up units for each individual item.

Every Item should have at least one record in the "Item Unit of Measure" table, to designate a unit of measure for that item, which is set up in the "Base Unit of Measure" field of the Item table. Both the Sales and Purchase Unit of Measure fields also look up into the Item Unit of Measure table.

What you can do for each new Item, is create a record into table 5404 first, and then enter the unit of measure into the base unit of measure field, using the VALIDATE statement. This will automatically put the same code into all three unit of measure fields.
    Great. You guys are very helpful.

I have done till record insertion. I'll just validate it against item. its a good hint.

thanks.

regards,
    KS