FINDSET and FINDFIRST

souravbsouravb Member Posts: 135
I am using NAV 4.0 SP3 with SQL Server 2000. Is it better to use FINDFIRST with Repeat...Until OR FINDSET with Repeat...Until?. Please Advice.

Comments

• BeliasBelias Member Posts: 2,998
    enter c/al editor, press F1 and search findset in the online help, there, you'll see the correct use of these statements :wink:
    anyway, NEVER use findfirst with loops, but sometimes find('-') is better than findfirst
    -Mirko-
    "Never memorize what you can easily find in a book".....Or Mibuso
    My Blog
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    I think that there are many posts about that on the forum, it is documented in manuals, it is described on blogs.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • garakgarak Member Posts: 3,263
    also you can find the quick reference in the download section.
    Do you make it right, it works too!
  • ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,256
    Belias wrote:
    enter c/al editor, press F1 and search findset in the online help, there, you'll see the correct use of these statements :wink:
    anyway, NEVER use findfirst with loops, but sometimes find('-') is better than findfirst

could you explain the scenario where fin('-') is better than findfirst.

Excluding loops off course.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
    ara3n wrote:
    Belias wrote:

could you explain the scenario where fin('-') is better than findfirst.

Excluding loops off course.

Sorry, i mean better than findset... :oops: :mrgreen:
    -Mirko-
    My Blog
    oh np. I've heard that as well.

I can't remember the scenario though. :(
    Ahmed Rashed Amini

FINDSET, find "n" records in the table, where "n" is the value of recordset property.
    if the developer knows that the no. of retrieved records after a set of filters are bigger than recordset value, it's better to use find('-') because it will find all the resulting records.
    In this way Nav and/or sql does not have to refill the cache after "n" reads (maybe the last sentence I wrote is not 100% correct) :mrgreen:
    -Mirko-
    My Blog
    Oh yes, the number of records. They've changed it from 500 in 5.0 to 50 in 2009.
    The mentioned that performance was better with 50. I wonder on how large of database did they do the test.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini

ara3n wrote:
    Oh yes, the number of records. They've changed it from 500 in 5.0 to 50 in 2009.
    The mentioned that performance was better with 50. I wonder on how large of database did they do the test.

I read in a post here in mibuso... here it is
    http://www.mibuso.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=30687&hilit=recordset
    -Mirko-
    My Blog
  • idiotidiot Member Posts: 651
    Belias wrote:
    if the developer knows that the no. of retrieved records after a set of filters are bigger than recordset value, it's better to use find('-') because it will find all the resulting records.
    How does the developer know?
    ara3n wrote:
    So what if it's > 50? The statement will be repeated?

Is this the path Nav is moving towards? Small databases? Non-uniformed/inconsistency in functions where developer of module A will use FIND('-') while developer of module B will use FINDSET?
    NAV - Norton Anti Virus

ERP Consultant (not just Navision) & Navision challenger
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    No. If you are iterating through ledger entries, you can assume that the count will be big. If you are iterating document lines, you can assume that there will be only some maximal count of the lines. That's the difference. There is more and more entries during time, there is still average same count of lines per document during time etc.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • devu_13devu_13 Member Posts: 101
    Hi
    If you are using FINDFIRST Then No. of records are retrive slowly as compare to FIND('-').
    So use FIND('-') for better performance.
    Devendra Kr. Sharma
    IBIZ Consulting Services,India
  • MBergerMBerger Member Posts: 413
    devu_13 wrote:
    Hi
    If you are using FINDFIRST Then No. of records are retrive slowly as compare to FIND('-').
    ?? FINDFIRST does exactly as it says on the box...it retrieves the FIRST, and ONLY the first record it finds ( or none, of course ). if you need only 1 record, this performs much better than FIND('-') !

Why you should never use FINDFIRST in conjunction with a REPEAT..UNTIL NEXT loop is that this will in at least 2 DB-calls; as soon as it detects the NEXT statement, it will still have to retrieve the recordset. Using either FINDSET or FIND('-') is better in this case, because it will already have gotten multiplt records ( if any ) into memory.
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    devu_13 wrote:
    You are getting things confused here. Read back through the replies in this thread to learn more about the difference between FIND('-') and FINDSET. Not FIRST, but SET.

FINDFIRST is not meant to be used when you need to loop through a set of records. FINDFIRST only retrieves one record, so when you do NEXT, the system now has to guess as to what you want to do, and since you're using the wrong keyword in the first place, it has to get more records, so it's another query, and the system slows down from there.

So yes, FIND('-') is faster than FINDFIRST for loops, because FINDFIRST is the wrong keyword to use in a loop to begin with.

<edit> sorry MBerger, I hadn't seen your reply yet :whistle: </edit>
  • MBergerMBerger Member Posts: 413
    DenSter wrote:
    *high fives Denster* no problem....maybe people will learn now :)
    MBerger wrote:
    DenSter wrote:
    *high fives Denster* no problem....maybe people will learn now :)
    i'm sure someone will ask for this again and again... :mrgreen: maybe we should open a FAQ section?I'm gonna post in feedback, who knows...
    -Mirko-
    My Blog