Regarding customer master

kumarharishkumarharish Member Posts: 25
Dear Experts,
One of my client is an educational Institute, where they use some .net based college management system to keep track of students & other details while they recently opted for NAV for Financial management.

Each new student taking admission has to be registered in their legacy application, they want that these new student recored should be pulled to NAV automatically. Is it possible?? How?

One solution that comes to my mind is to export the student details to a csv file and then port this csv file to student master(customer master) table of NAV on periodic basis.. Any other advice? Please guide

Thanks

Comments

• matttraxmatttrax Member Posts: 2,309
    It completely depends on what that legacy application is and how it is built.

Does it run on SQL?
    Does it provide automation controls?

More information is definitely needed.
  • kumarharishkumarharish Member Posts: 25
    yes it is based on SQL,
    for automation controls i need to check with them
  • matttraxmatttrax Member Posts: 2,309
    Although not the best method you could put code on the insert trigger of the legacy application. It could fill in the appropriate fields in NAV.

If the old system has an insert date/time for the record you could periodically poll for new information.

Like you said, you could export / import data.
  • jlandeenjlandeen Member Posts: 524
    One other option is to use a staging table to place records that are known to be ready for export. Say on the OnModify trigger you add a route to determine whether or not the other system needs to know about the Customer and then if it does write the record to a seperate table in SQL that the other system monitors for new records on a regular basis.

This approach allows you to write business logic within Navision that can handle the determination of whether or not to notify the other system. I'm currently working on a project where employee records have to be sent to another system...but there are only 4 or 5 fields that matter to the other system so the other system really only needs to be notified when 1 of those fields changes. If the other system was simply polling the employee table for changes it would find a much larger set of data then it needs to use.
    Jeff Landeen - Sr. Consultant
    Epimatic Corp.

http://www.epimatic.com