Usage of dimensions in Post Inventory to G/L

kghekierekghekiere Member Posts: 5
Hello,
I'm new on mibuso.com and using NAV 4.0 since a couple of months.
We want to setup posting of inventory to G/L.
Testing that on a test environment.
We have a problem with dimensions.
We link a dimension to an item, for example "sale"
But we would like that the dimension used during posting is different depending on the type of transaction.
Example:
When we post a sale we want the transaction (sales value) to go to a dimension "sale" (=dimension linked to item).
For the same item, the cost of sale should go to a dimension "cos" (=dimension linked to the G/L account).
Note: both cos and sale are values within the same dimension type.

Can this be done? Can you setup which dimension value is used for which type of transaction?

I now have the impression that always the dimension of the item is used.

Koen

Comments

• ssinglassingla Member Posts: 2,973
    kghekiere wrote:
    Hello,
    I'm new on mibuso.com and using NAV 4.0 since a couple of months.
    We want to setup posting of inventory to G/L.
    Testing that on a test environment.
    We have a problem with dimensions.
    We link a dimension to an item, for example "sale"
    But we would like that the dimension used during posting is different depending on the type of transaction.
    Example:
    When we post a sale we want the transaction (sales value) to go to a dimension "sale" (=dimension linked to item).
    For the same item, the cost of sale should go to a dimension "cos" (=dimension linked to the G/L account).
    Note: both cos and sale are values within the same dimension type.

Can this be done? Can you setup which dimension value is used for which type of transaction?

I now have the impression that always the dimension of the item is used.

Koen

The dimension on the document will be used to post all the related transaction subject to dimension priority defined.
    CA Sandeep Singla
    http://ssdynamics.co.in
  • kghekierekghekiere Member Posts: 5
    I'm not talking about a document yet.
    It's a dimension which is linked to an item.
    But I want this dimension to be overruled by a dimension which is linked to the G/L account which is used during posting.
  • ssinglassingla Member Posts: 2,973
    No you cannot do that.
    CA Sandeep Singla
    http://ssdynamics.co.in
  • idiotidiot Member Posts: 651
    Use another dimension & set it to be the same as the one for your G/L acccount.
    NAV - Norton Anti Virus

ERP Consultant (not just Navision) & Navision challenger
    That is exactly the problem, we don't want to change the dimension linked to the item.

What are default dimension priorities for?
  • ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,256
    A item/Transaction can have only dimension.

I think you don't understand how to use dimensions. If you have a COS (COGS) GL account, why do need an additional dimension telling you that it's COS (COGS) ?

As far as Dimension priorities, it won't solve your issue.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
    In the company I arrived, they're -I think- misusing the dimensions to determine reporting lines, one line can be sales, one can be cost of sales, one can be G&A costs.

So far, I found no method to define reporting lines where you can link accounts in combination with certain dimensions. There's something like account schedules but there you only link accounts to a reporting line.

How produce a P&L per dimension?
  • kamranshehzadkamranshehzad Member Posts: 165
    Hi I got a strange issue...
    I have a dimension called Bus Unit and when I post an invoice, it his sales account properly with dimension but it doesn't hit cos of sale account (COS) with any dimension??

Any idea...we do need it as we have to separate the sales & cost as per bus unit etc.

regards,
    KS