Set a breakpoint without modifying object?

kaelaakaelaa Member Posts: 28
Hello,

Is there a way to set a BreakPoint in an object without modifying the object?

I thought that Navision sets the Breakpoints information in a XML file and not in the objects?

Everytime I set a breakpoint on an object to check what the system is doing, I have to

compile the object and the the object size and modification date and time changes in the Object Designer.

I don't want to do that because my objects will be different when I compare the objects in my DEV and my PROD environment.

I am sure that sometimes, I was able to set a breakpoint without the system asking me to compile the object.

I know that I can export the object before setting a breakpoint and then import back when I am done debugging but I was hoping to have a simpler solution :)

Or Maybe I can create a form based on the BreakPoint table but then it is difficult to know on which line to set the breakpoint...

Thank you very much!

Comments

• MBergerMBerger Member Posts: 413
    Sometimes NAV thinks you have changed something, even if you haven't.

Just open the object, DON'T MAKE ANY CHANGES, and set your breakpoint, then close it.
    If you have done everything ok, it will close withotu saving, but your breakpoint will be set anyway.
  • ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,256
    Just to make sure it has put a breakpoint, after closing the object, reopen it and see that the breakpoint is there.
    It doesn't always stick. :(
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
  • kaelaakaelaa Member Posts: 28
    Thanks for your answers,

I assure you I am not modifying anything but Navision still thinks that I modified it !

I open the form, I go to a menu button, I choose one of the options and I press F9, then I press F9 for setting the breakpoint. That's all!

I know that sometimes it works, but in some cases it doesn't.

I tried in a table, I go to one of the fields, I press F9 and the I press F9 again in the code to set the breakpoint and it orks Navision sets the breakpoint without modifying the object but it doesn not work in my form example!!

Thank you
  • kapamaroukapamarou Member Posts: 1,152
    Try the following:

Edit Your Object. Set Your BreakPoints.

Go to object designer.

Create a new form for virtual table Breakpoint.

Run your new form with CTRL-R.

Copy the records referring to your object.

Go back to your designed object. :D

Close without saving (if prompted to save).

Go back to your Breakpoint Form.

If your breakpoints are missing then Paste them from your clipboard.

Edit your object again to see if the breakpoints are there...
    :D