Changing Item Tracking Codes

jamesjames Member Posts: 56
Hi,

We have a particular problem at the moment, whereby an Item has had the wrong Item Tracking Code selected (and it now has Entries against it). Now it has been discovered, we cannot obviously change the Item Tracking Code because of the code behind it (however it is possible to bypass as we know).

I've tried to search on here to see if other users have had this issue, but have not found any. So I was wondering if someone could let me know what the implications are for this. Is this an absolute no-no or if it is possible, what traps or problems do I need to be aware of. It will mean that the Item will now SN Specific Tracking, which it should have had and I've noticed some people have commented on this, but not much detail of the real problems that can occur if you change this.

The standard solution of creating a new part is not an option at all, as the Item No is a reference that the customer understands and therefore must remain the same.

Thanks for any help

Comments

• matttraxmatttrax Member Posts: 2,309
    It sort of depends. We also serialize everything and have had item cards setup incorrectly from time to time.

Was the item still received with a serial number? If so we've changed the item tracking code to SNALL without problems (just bypassed the validation).

Past that it gets tricky and can be easily messed up. I would suggest crediting out the mis-received inventory. Then rename the item card and block it. Then setup a new item card with the old number and receive the inventory to it. I think that should work.
  • jamesjames Member Posts: 56
    Thanks Matt

How do you mean tricky and it could get messy? What could be expected to happen if the Item Tracking Code is changed without validation?

Changing the Item Number is not an option really. I suppose the part could be blocked and then renamed, whilst creating a new item with the old Item Number, but this comes down to history and there's 7 years of transactions on it.

It varies between Items, some have been received in a serial number, but then it's been applied to a different serial number - but more worrying is some of them have been set-up without Serial Number tracking and then it's been decided to have them serial number tracked, therefore the entries are a mixture of Serial Numbers and non-Serial Numbers.