Applying Navision 4 SP3 Hotfixes

sc00bysc00by Member Posts: 43
Hi Guys,

Following the great list of Client builds on the Waldo Blog :D I've been downloading a few to test out as the Microsoft KB descriptions indicate that we could really benefit from these.

What seems strange though is that some of the earlier files - update 5 for instance - are larger than the later ones - update 6.8. This appears to imply that the hotfixes are not cummulative and would need to be applied in numerical order so that none were missed :?

Our base version is Nav 4 SP3 (Build 23305) - this appears to be an early version of SP3 as the blog shows updates 1 to 6 are included in SP3 now :shock: Surely all SP3 builds should be the same straight off the install disk?

Is this right?

Can anybody give me an insight into their method for applying HF files and what is considered a good build level to be on for Nav 4?

Rob.

Comments

• absolutelyfreewebabsolutelyfreeweb Member Posts: 104
    Update 6 is commulative as far a I know, but it has a severe con, they have set sql index hinting to on as default from 4 sp 3 up 6. they changed their mind in 5.1. you need to turn off sql index hinting manually by adding a table directly in sql server to avoid performance problems.
  • krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,110
    Update 6 is commulative as far a I know, but it has a severe con, they have set sql index hinting to on as default from 4 sp 3 up 6. they changed their mind in 5.1. you need to turn off sql index hinting manually by adding a table directly in sql server to avoid performance problems.
    Also in hotfixes after 4.0SP3 u6, they removed the hinting again, I don't remember in which hotfix they removed it again, but generally I am using the latest one.
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!

• absolutelyfreewebabsolutelyfreeweb Member Posts: 104
    partnersource hotfix search is a disaster, a clear example how a search engine can perform so badly its not even worth being called one :mrgreen: I thought update 6 was the latest?
  • sc00bysc00by Member Posts: 43
    I agree about Partenersource :roll:

Best place I've found is here -
    http://dynamicsuser.net/blogs/waldo/archive/2009/01/24/writing-platform-updates-overview-3-70-b-nav2009-rtm.aspx

As of now, Nav4 SP3 is showing Update 6.16 as the latest one ...

Up to update 6 you have an executable to install it and after that just files to replace so do you need to update to the last cumulative 'exe' update then add the last 'file replace' update over the top? :?

Rob.
  • ajhvdbajhvdb Member Posts: 672
    Yes, it's much better but you must always search for the latest one.

I created a favorite to this one:
    - http://dynamicsuser.net/blogs/waldo/arc ... ate-1.aspx

and didn't see the latest. Until now. :)