Login in navision fails: The SELECT permission was denied...

AndreasDAndreasD Member Posts: 34
edited 2013-02-21 in SQL General
Hello,

I have SQLserver2005 with Navision 4.0SP3.
When I try to log in with a user (who does not have dbo-rights) , I get the following Message:
The following SQL Server error(s) occurred while accessing the Object table:
229,"42000",[Microsoft}[ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server] The SELECT permission was denied on the object 'Object', 'database datbase_name', schema 'dbo'.

OK

What can I do in order to successfully log in with that user without giving that user dbo-rights?
What I did so far: He is in public,
in the view dbo.session for permission select he has "Grant" and "With grant".

Thank you
Andreas
Andreas

Comments

• matttraxmatttrax Member Posts: 2,309
    Have you added the user to database logins / windows longins?

Synchronized the security?

Take a look at the installation guide. I think there's also a SQL Implementation pdf on the product cd. You'll find pretty much everything you need to know about NAV security.
  • sc00bysc00by Member Posts: 43
    To use SQL 2005, you need to have the -T4616 startup parameter on your SQL Server.

Also, if you haven't already added them, the extended xp_ndo stored procedures need to be added to the server.

Not sure but I think the error I had was solved by the first idea - can't recall if it was exactly what you have described though.

Hope this helps.

Rob.
  • krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,094
    Sounds more like that you are using enhanced security system and didn't synchronize.
    Or you synchronize the accounts or you change the security system to standard.
    If you don't need the permissions pushed to SQL (needed if the users need to access the DB with other tools), I would recommend using the standard security system.

[Topic moved from 'NAV/Navision' forum to 'SQL General' forum]
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!

• strykstryk Member Posts: 645
    Hi!

First try to "synchronize" your NAV logins. If the error still occurs, then you could try this TSQL in SSMS:
    use [Your_NAV_Database]
    go
    grant select on [Object] to public
    go

Does this help?
    Jörg A. Stryk (MVP - Dynamics NAV)
    NAV/SQL Performance Optimization & Troubleshooting
    STRYK System Improvement
    The Blog - The Book - The Tool
  • fdgameirofdgameiro Member Posts: 4
    I had the same problem and this really worked.

But i want to understand better.
    Can you help me to learn about the View "Session" because that was my object with this problem?
  • strykstryk Member Posts: 645
    Well, to be frank, the reason is that this "Enhanced" Security Model really sucks big time ](*,)
    It's very buggy, often some permissions get lost ...

Missing SELECR rights on the "Session" view is abug of older NAV 5.x versions ...
    Jörg A. Stryk (MVP - Dynamics NAV)
    NAV/SQL Performance Optimization & Troubleshooting
    STRYK System Improvement
    The Blog - The Book - The Tool