Strange behavior of native restore

ta5ta5 Member Posts: 1,164
Hello

I noticed a strange behavior of the native restore, version 5.0, sp0 and sp1.

Backup:
The backup was taken from a database containing 10 companies, including objects and the data for all companies, but only 1 company was selected for the backup.

Restore:
A new db is created, restore is started for the backuped company, with the option data for all companies, including objects.

Error:
After a while following error is thrown: "Company xy" not found. The company xy is the first one in the original db but it has intentionally not been backuped. I guess the problem occurs while restoring the security tables, because some roles point to a company that does not exist.

Question:
What are the proper steps to get a backup of only one company into an empty db? Backing up all companies is not an option because the companies are huge. IMHO this was not a problem until 5.x.

Thanks in advance
Thomas

Answers

• MalajloMalajlo Member Posts: 294
    Open empty missing company and then do a restore.
  • ta5ta5 Member Posts: 1,164
    Malajlo wrote:
    I have a empty db :?
  • leugimleugim Member Posts: 93
    ta5 wrote:
    Malajlo wrote:
    I have a empty db :?

i think Malajlo wants to mean "Create a new company with no data"
  • Edward_BloomfieldEdward_Bloomfield Member Posts: 155
    I have seen this issue in V5, but not V5 Sp1, which I believe that Microsoft has corrected in Sp1.

If you backup just one company and try to restore it, it will fail because it tries to restore the others as well...

Have just tried doing a backup of one company from a database containing two and restoring just one using build No. 24652, and this worked OK...
    Edward Bloomfield

Lead Consultant
    Theta
  • ta5ta5 Member Posts: 1,164
    I finally got it!

Backup was done with Build 24199 (CH, 5.0 SP0)
    Restore was done with Build 26084 (CH, 5.0 SP1), maybe this was the cause of problem...

Restoring in the following order did the trick: Objects, Data common to all companies, company.

Thanks for all your help.
    Thomas
  • KWevickKWevick Member Posts: 103
    Just a FYI - I'm having the same problem 5.01 backup to 5.01 restore. I've seen it on another database too. I'm going to try your phased restore.
    Thanks
    Karen