Fixed Asset and G/L disconnect- how does this happen?

AlexWileyAlexWiley Member Posts: 230
Hi everyone, I'm a bit concerned after being presented this from my accounting group. I've racked my brain and looked through all kinds of ledgers and can't come up with anything other than a major system data handling problem. There is depreciation entries in the G/L that say they are for a fixed asset, but when you look at the fixed asset's ledger entries, those depreciation entries are not there. Can someone please lend some insight into how this could possibly happen?

NAV.bmp

When I navigate on the g/l entries and look at the FA entries, the column 'FA No.' is blank.

Comments

• ssinglassingla Member Posts: 2,973
    Can you specify the entry number of the G/L entry depreciation transactions
    CA Sandeep Singla
    http://ssdynamics.co.in
  • KarenhKarenh Member Posts: 209
    You are filtering the FA Ledger Entry on FA Posting Date. Try Posting Date, or not filtering on the date at all.

Do you then see any December depreciation entries?
  • AlexWileyAlexWiley Member Posts: 230
    I set the filter to make it easier to see the discrepancy, without the date filter there is still no december depreciation entries.
  • i4tosti4tost Member Posts: 208
    In FA you can cancel FA entries. I believe you have them in canceled entries (look from FA Card).
  • ssinglassingla Member Posts: 2,973
    i4tost wrote:
    In FA you can cancel FA entries. I believe you have them in canceled entries (look from FA Card).

Cancel entries can be seen in the FA ledger entries as the FA number is not deleted from the transaction.
    CA Sandeep Singla
    http://ssdynamics.co.in
    Are there other Fixed Assets without Dec. depreciation entries, that have Dec. G/L depreciation entries?
    So I have found part of the issue- there are lots of postings to the FA Ledger Entries where the "FA No." field is blank. This is how it shows up in the G/L and not in the asset's ledger entries. By looking at these 'Blank' entries it is obvious the person used the Calculate Depreciation batch job.

I will have to make sure the user checks to make sure the FA No. field is entered on the depreciation journal and we can try to troubleshoot from there. I'm still not sure what happens to allow posting to a blank fixed asset number.
    You can write a processing-only report to populate the FA No. field in the Fa Ledger entry records with the blank FA No. field, based on the corresponding G/L Entry records Source No. field.

I have a client that uses Fixed Assets extensively and there has not been a problem with a missing FA No. in the depreciation entries. I don't see how having the user "watch it" will help.

Have there been modifications?
  • i4tosti4tost Member Posts: 208
    Some time ago i saw (can't remember in standard or not) when you delete card it blanks field No. value in entries.
    Karenh wrote:
    You can write a processing-only report to populate the FA No. field in the Fa Ledger entry records with the blank FA No. field, based on the corresponding G/L Entry records Source No. field.

I have a client that uses Fixed Assets extensively and there has not been a problem with a missing FA No. in the depreciation entries. I don't see how having the user "watch it" will help.

Have there been modifications?

I wish I could say, there was a developer who was decent about at least putting notes in the object and there isn't any in the FA posting codeunits. I've looked at the FA code for standard and our version and everything I have looked at has been the same. I think I just need to populate the FA# off the Source No. on the G/L Entry and keep track in the future to see if it happens again.