Why does Navision require Local Admin access on client PCs?

dhahlendhahlen Member Posts: 14
Navision 4.0

All of our system users are local admins on their PC's. I was told that Navision requires the user to be a local admin of their pc in order for Navision to function properly. I would like to remove these permissions so i can properly set up a GPO and restrict access to users as needed.

Could someone explain what directories navision needs full access to? Or was I given false information regarding navision requiring local admin access.

All systems are running windows xp sp2 or later, and the domain controller is windows server 2003 standard sp2.

Thanks,
Darren

Comments

• ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,256
    I would try it and see if it works.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    Users needs access to the NAV Client folder for writing, because the client itself is generating some files like .smt, .hmt etc. (mini-trees) - some sort of cache. It is why the client needs writing permissions on the client folder.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • idiotidiot Member Posts: 651
    dhahlen wrote:
    Navision 4.0

I was told that Navision requires the user to be a local admin of their pc in order for Navision to function properly.

Get a second opinion. Better yet, get a second VAR. Or you're not repeating exactly what was conveyed to you.
    NAV - Norton Anti Virus

ERP Consultant (not just Navision) & Navision challenger
  • matttraxmatttrax Member Posts: 2,309
    Yeah, we have plenty of people running NAV with local install (not Citrix or anything) that are not local admins. It's not a requirement.
  • ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,256
    We may not have the whole picture. There could be an integration with something that requires admin rights.
    For example they could use Lanham communicates with printers or LS retail.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
  • dhahlendhahlen Member Posts: 14
    There are not any special applications tied with navision. We have navision sitting on top of SQL server, and we run the "finsql.exe" on all of the clients from the Navision client folder installed locally. A workstation usually has a specified printer which can be installed by the administrator. The user will place an order through navision and do a post and print, in which it will print their pick ticket.

I am wondering if I just give users full access to the navision folder, and remove the local admin rights, if things will still function properly. I suppose there is only one way to check - I just wanted to see why I was told it needs local administrator rights.
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    Because on Vista there is UAC and you can run NAV client without using it, you definitely do not needs Admin rights in common use. Request for admin rights each time you run NAV client is against policy of minimum permissions...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.