Allow Negative Inventory in Transfer Order

nav_126nav_126 Member Posts: 77
Dear all,

For one of our client we are using Navision 4.0 SP2.
Clients wants to transfer negative inventory from one location to another in transfer order.

I have put a boolean field in location card to allow negative inventory but when i ship a transfer order system skips the item ledger entry for in transit location.

[b]When i try to receive the same shipped order then system skips entry for Transfer to location code,
[/b
]
Is there any solution for this problem? its an urgent requirement.

Thanks
Navision Developer

Comments

• ritesh.singhritesh.singh Member Posts: 123
    It is better to pass a positive adjustment entry for that location and then create the transfer order....
    It will take care all the upcoming issues...
    Thanks,
    Ritesh K Singh
  • nav_126nav_126 Member Posts: 77
    Hi,

Thanks for the reply, but the requirement is such like that client does not want to pass positive adjustment in the system.

So please suggest any more solution if somebody has done for any implementation

Regards
    Navision Developer
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    I strongly suggest to not doing that. Why you need to transfer something what is not there??? What is the source of this request? Can you solve the base reason in another way?
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,256
    nav_126 wrote:
    Hi,

Thanks for the reply, but the requirement is such like that client does not want to pass positive adjustment in the system.

So please suggest any more solution if somebody has done for any implementation

Regards
    Navision Developer

Your costing will be a total mess. Don't do it.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
  • i4tosti4tost Member Posts: 208
    I will say, you should change all NAV logic related to costing. So this is not the best way to solve your issue. Try to eliminate negative quantity, this will be easier.
  • AdamRoueAdamRoue Member Posts: 1,283
    Can you explain to us why the client wants to move something that is not there to another location where it will not exist?
    The art of teaching is clarity and the art of learning is to listen
  • garakgarak Member Posts: 3,263
    i doesn't understand, why you need to transfer a neg. inventory?
    If your system shows you a neg. inventory the customer should ask ,why is it negative ....
    So if you have -3 in location A and you will transfer the quantity 2 to B then you have -5 on A and, how much on B (+2)?
    And doen't forgett your unit cost if work with avg. Costing Methode
    Do you make it right, it works too!
  • spidi_onespidi_one Member Posts: 17
    Hello !

I'm olso want to implement a function that permit transfer order ship/receipt and negative inventory.

I want olso to explain olso the situation.
    For example :
    Machine that produce nails in one location and create stock and stored with unit of measure Kg. Production posted at end of day(with positive adjmt).
    Periodically (each hour) are transfered to other location where used as rowmaterials.
    When transfer shipment is posted production is not posted so need to be negative.
    Cannot use automation to post positive adjmt. with each transfer because can be that transfer is done from stock and there is no production.

Any ideeas ?

Thank you
  • Cem_KaraerCem_Karaer Member Posts: 281
    Hello,

What is the exact requirement? Any legitimate analysis shouldn't create a requirement like transfering non-existent items to another location.
    Cem Karaer @ Pargesoft
    Dynamics NAV Developer since 2005
  • bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    Are you thinking the responses are going to change after 3 years? Reread the entire post. You'll find the answer. And yes, NO is sometimes a valid answer. I recall someone writing a Blog posting on that subject sometime ago.
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.
    Ok maybe te question was not formulated in correct way.
    The problem is that transactions are posted in reversed order .
    First transfer shipments second production output.
    Of course one way is to post automatically production for transfer shipments without stock and end of day, when production is posted just post diference. I just want to ask for other ideas.
    Ok, but you're still asking the same question. That is you want to drive inventory negative during transfers. And the advise is don't do it. Rephrasing the question will not change the answer.

What I don't understand, in your situation, is if you physically have the item to transfer why can't you post the production output?

We have a somewhat different but similar situation with one of our customers. They are producing product that must be moved to shipping, and shipped, while the prodcution is stil ongoing. The items are lot-tracked and shipping uses Advanced WMS. Two factors that prevent driving inventory negative. So we just post the production output, in realtime, as it comes off the line. Then we "transfer" (actually reclass journal) to shipping. Where we can pick and ship. Then we post consumption and finish production at the end of the ship.

No negative inventory, and good cost controls.
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    bbrown wrote:
    Are you thinking the responses are going to change after 3 years? Reread the entire post. You'll find the answer. And yes, NO is sometimes a valid answer. I recall someone writing a Blog posting on that subject sometime ago.

this one I think.

The most powerful tool that a Dynamics NAV consultant can use
    David Singleton
    bbrown wrote:

this one I think.

The most powerful tool that a Dynamics NAV consultant can use

Exactly. =D>
    You mean for lazy consultant who don't want to think a litle ? You can always say NO.

Negative inventory is possible when you post a sales shipments. Why not olso for transfer shipments ?
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    spidi_one wrote:
    You mean for lazy consultant who don't want to think a litle ? You can always say NO.

Negative inventory is possible when you post a sales shipments. Why not olso for transfer shipments ?

So if you are the genius consultant, and we are all lazy, what is stopping you. Think it through, write some code and the problem is solved. Actually its not even much code, just a couple of lines. Remove the requirement for an applies to and the check for negative and you are done. The application routine will apply the entry once you output from manufacturing, so looks like a simple solution. Go for it.

Looks like you don't really need any help you can manage this one yourself.
    David Singleton
    I m not genius. Otherwise i wasn't write here. In my case if I say no, no negative invetory, I must come with solution. I was aspecting ideas for this situation: Continous production and transfer shipments from experienced people.

A solution is like post production for each transfer shipment or sales shipment.At the end of day when production is finished post remain stock.

Thank you anyway.
    spidi_one wrote:
    I m not genius. Otherwise i wasn't write here. In my case if I say no, no negative invetory, I must come with solution. I was aspecting ideas for this situation: Continous production and transfer shipments from experienced people.

A solution is like post production for each transfer shipment or sales shipment.At the end of day when production is finished post remain stock.

Thank you anyway.

First, not once in this thread have you given any indication that you are open to alternate solutions.

Second, you have failed to respond to any of our questions or comments that would have opened up the discussion of alternate solutions.

You have been presented with some valuable FREE advice. There are many people on this forum to assist you within reason. But you must meet us part way.
  • Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    spidi_one wrote:

Thank you anyway.

One alternative you can try is to have the sytem post positive adjustment for transfer purpose, then negative adjust it back to what it was after the transfer is done.

Not the cleanest way, but it's an alternative.

I do agree with you that it's our job to come up with alternatives instead of just saying no. As experts in our field, we know the hazards of the road, as such, we know which areas we should not tread. Rather, we should come up with new route to get to the final destination.

Hope the alternatives gives you some ideas.
    Thanks
    I will post production for each transfer or sales ship without stock without negative after.
    At the end of production time instead to post entire quantity produced will be posted only remaing on stock.
    spidi_one wrote:
    Thanks
    I will post production for each transfer or sales ship without stock without negative after.
    At the end of production time instead to post entire quantity produced will be posted only remaing on stock.

????
    bbrown wrote:
    ...We have a somewhat different but similar situation with one of our customers. They are producing product that must be moved to shipping, and shipped, while the prodcution is stil ongoing. The items are lot-tracked and shipping uses Advanced WMS. Two factors that prevent driving inventory negative. So we just post the production output, in realtime, as it comes off the line. Then we "transfer" (actually reclass journal) to shipping. Where we can pick and ship. Then we post consumption and finish production at the end of the ship.