Client Monitor usage

aliennavaliennav Member Posts: 449
iS there any practical usage of client monitor????

Do tell me.
Thanx

Comments

• mohana_cse06mohana_cse06 Member Posts: 5,504
    Client Monitor
    The Client Monitor is a tool that programmers can use to monitor the communication between a Microsoft Dynamics NAV server and the clients in a network in order to make the communication as effective as possible.

For more information about the client monitor, see the Application Designer's Guide.
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,305
    Do a simple test to see what it does. Open the Client monitor, and click start. Do anything in NAV, something small like create a sales order. Go back to the Client Monitor, and click Stop. Look at the entries in the Client Monitor. It shows what code is executed, server calls, duration, keys used, all sorts of information that can be helpful when troubleshooting issues.

Be aware though, and use it only when necessary. Client Monitor itself takes up a lot of resources, and it will affect performance when it is on.
  • aliennavaliennav Member Posts: 449
    DenSter wrote:
    Do a simple test to see what it does. Open the Client monitor, and click start. Do anything in NAV, something small like create a sales order. Go back to the Client Monitor, and click Stop. Look at the entries in the Client Monitor. It shows what code is executed, server calls, duration, keys used, all sorts of information that can be helpful when troubleshooting issues.

Be aware though, and use it only when necessary. Client Monitor itself takes up a lot of resources, and it will affect performance when it is on.

All u get from my side is
    THANKS.
    You're welcome, glad I could help :mrgreen:
  • BeliasBelias Member Posts: 2,998
    i only want to point out a thing: client monitor fills a temptable which max size can be 2GB...after that nav crashes (at least in 4.01)
    it's very useful to see sql statements and to find some bottlenecks...
    -Mirko-
    "Never memorize what you can easily find in a book".....Or Mibuso
    My Blog
  • johannajohanna Member Posts: 369
    DenSter wrote:

Hi,

Before I start client monitor in tab "General", i want to know, what is the best option (in tab "Option") I should choose?

Thanks before :D
    Best regards,

Johanna
    i usually use all the first column of flags in the option tab (i've never used the other three)
    -Mirko-
    My Blog
    It depends on what you are looking for. If you need to see the execution plan, you check the execution plan box. If you don't need to see the execution plan, you don't check the box.

I don't know what you need to see, just check the options that you need.
  • johannajohanna Member Posts: 369
    @Belias : thank you :)

@DenSter : Yes, I agree with you that it depends on what I need to see. thank you :)
    Best regards,

Johanna
  • nav_studentnav_student Member Posts: 175
    Client Monitor allows you to see the tables that a user needs for example post a transfer order. It´s useful to customize user permissions.

You can create a role based on the information returned by the Client Monitor, to give a user permissions to only made a Transfer Order.
    Client Monitor allows you to see the tables that a user needs for example post a transfer order. It´s useful to customize user permissions.

You can create a role based on the information returned by the Client Monitor, to give a user permissions to only made a Transfer Order.
    ...this is not the purpose of the client monitor :-k how do you use it?
    -Mirko-
    My Blog
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    Belias wrote:

...this is not the purpose of the client monitor :-k how do you use it?

It is one of the possible use... :-)

Of course, main purpose is optimization, bug tracing etc.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
    well...i'll try it!i just have had a request to change some permissions (customers never learn to do this alone..or noone train them :( )
    -Mirko-
    My Blog
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    Belias wrote:
    well...i'll try it!i just have had a request to change some permissions (customers never learn to do this alone..or noone train them :( )

There was a tool that uses the output to generate permissions, but really it was not a good idea. Firstly it is very generic, but more importantly it only gives what was just tested, so unless you post every possible combination you will still need to go back and fix it manually and the stuff you fix will be the hardest stuff.

It is good though when you are stuck with a particular permission and want to find out exactly why it is needed.

Training in permissions setup should be one of the very first things that the customer starts learning. That way every time they post or print or what ever in Navision during training and testing they are fixing permissions. You should turn permissions on as soon as they start training.
    David Singleton
  • jreynoldsjreynolds Member Posts: 175
    Client Monitor can also be very useful in certain debugging situations. For example, I recently had to debug a problem where a record was not getting written to a table. I checked the code and could seen no reason why this should be so. So, I turned on Client Monitor and looked at the results. The record was definitely being written to the table as I expected, but the Client Monitor also indicated that much later in the process that same record was subsequently being deleted from the table. Now that I understood exactly what was happening I could devise a proper solution to the problem. Without Client Monitor it would have taken much longer to find this problem.