Expiration Date in ILE

JKoBJKoB Member Posts: 40
Hey there!

The Field „Expiration Date“ in “Item ledger entry” is sometimes empty.
-> Entry-Type = Sale -> Exp-Date = Empty
-> Entry-Type = Purchase -> Exp-Date = Filled
-> Entry-Type = + Adj. -> Exp-Date = Filled
-> Entry-Type = - Adj. -> Exp-Date = Empty

- Is that normal?
- What does Nav Standard?
- Might that be a bug made by our systems house?
- What would be the easiest way to automatically fill the field?

PS: Using Nav 4.0 SP3

Gratz, Jakob

Comments

• ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,256
    Are your items Lot or serialized?

to fix it, you need to write a processing report that will look at item application table for lot/serial tracked items and find it applied entries and get the expiration date.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
  • JKoBJKoB Member Posts: 40
    Yepp, we use lot numbers.

A Report which is started (e.g. once a day) for all Entries without an expd?

Couldn't i even mod the sales-delivery-booking-codeunit so that the exp-date is written into the field?

-> what is standard?
  • ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,256
    JKoB wrote:

Well You would need to run it once.
    Couldn't i even mod the sales-delivery-booking-codeunit so that the exp-date is written into the field?

I don't know what CU this is. I'm guessing this is a modification?

-> what is standard?

Standard, you check the field "Man. Expir. Date Entry Reqd." in Item Tracking Code table. And all entries will be required to have expiration dates.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
  • mart1n0mart1n0 Member Posts: 123
    Hi I actually think it is normal behavior, expiration dates are only stored on inbound items, not on outbound items like e.g. sales or negative adjustments.

For this reason outbound ILE entries do not show expiration dates, I guess the reason behind it would be that they are out so the expiration date is not important anymore.
  • mart1n0mart1n0 Member Posts: 123
    Yup, just double checked, I had a ticket with Microsoft about this some time ago, it is designed like this, no Expiration date on outbound items, when you look at the item tracking on a e.g. a Sales Order it is looking up the Expiration date from the inbound item but it is never copied to the outbound one.
    Had a discussion with an Escalation engineer and he pointed me towards an earlier call where development marked it as by design.
    The customer indeed needs to use credit memo's / return orders to bypass this problem. See developments comments on the matter below:

"You could say it's a missing functionality, but the design of the expiration date system as it is now is only logging the expiration date in the inbound entries - it's retrieved and shown on the outbound - but it's a manipulation that is done each time. Your business case with the return is not covered yet but could be later - but not as embedded - the user's work around is to retrieve the expiration date and to enter it manually. In principle we say that 1 lot and 1 expiration date - but we also allow that if you have sold all items then you are allowed to use another expiration date - so if you get the goods back after one year and you have had 5 different expiration date for the lot/item then you need to make some research (document number, date of sales etc) to be able to identify the right expiration date anyhow."
    ara3n wrote:
    JKoB wrote:

Well You would need to run it once.
    K, got what u meant
    ara3n wrote:
    I don't know what CU this is. I'm guessing this is a modification?
    Nevermind that ;)
    ara3n wrote:
    -> what is standard?
    Standard, you check the field "Man. Expir. Date Entry Reqd." in Item Tracking Code table. And all entries will be required to have expiration dates.

Nice to know about that field. But I can’t fill the field manually for each tracking spec. (some k a day)

mart1n0 wrote:
    Hi I actually think it is normal behavior, expiration dates are only stored on inbound items, not on outbound items like e.g. sales or negative adjustments.

For this reason outbound ILE entries do not show expiration dates, I guess the reason behind it would be that they are out so the expiration date is not important anymore.

Looks like that could really be the reason behind.
    – But in our case, the expiration date is always important. =)

I am afraid that I can follow the MS argumentation. (never guessed that ;) )
    On the other hand: The field is there, why not using it?

You could see the exp-date for each delivery / item without checking another entry with the same lot no.
    2nd positive effect would be that u directly see the exp-date if u look into the tracking entries of a posted shipment / invoice / … .

To cut a long story short – We need this field filled [!!!]

1. I’ll create a report which fills all existing entries – clear so far.
    2. What do I have to pay attention on to realize that the field is filled on every outbound?

Jakob
  • ritesh.singhritesh.singh Member Posts: 123
    Make sure Item Tracking Code is properly setup...
    Thanks,
    Ritesh K Singh
    I think the Item tracking code is set up correctly.

-> But i'd be thankfull if u could tell me where i can find the "auto exp-dates in all outbounds" checkbox.

Found this
    wakestar wrote:
    Navison 4.0
    Codeunit 22 Item Jnl.-Post Line:
    ItemLedgEntry."Expiration Date" := 0D; // No Expiration date on negative entries

Can somebody explain the reason of this?

thanks

If i comment the line out, all outbounds except of sales have exp-dates.
    I'd say a step forward - or did i overlook sth.?
    Any further suggestions?

[*] Might it cause Problems if comment the line out?
    [*] Where is the best point to tell NAV to write the exp when booking a delivery?