Options

Difference between Valuation Date and Posting Date

Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
What exactly is the difference between the Valuation Date and the Posting Date on the Value Entry table?

Some times these 2 are the same but sometimes these 2 dates are different.

The Inventory Valuation report uses the Posting Date as the date filter to calculate the end date if you were to backdate the report. The same goes to Inventory to G/L Reconcile report.

However, codeunit ItemCostManagement (5804) uses the Valuation Date to calculates the inventory value as of a particular date.

If you run a report under these 2 fields, you'll get different results.

Any answers on this topic will help us all sleep better at nights. =)

Comments

• Options
    i4tosti4tost Member Posts: 208
    Valuation date is for average costing method (to calculate correct cost) and for WIP valuation. posting date - is for financial operation. All reports goes by this date.
  • Options
    Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    i4tost wrote:
    Valuation date is for average costing method (to calculate correct cost) and for WIP valuation. posting date - is for financial operation. All reports goes by this date.

Hi i4tost,

Thanks for the explaination!

My 2nd question on top of this is how do I match the values generated from the Valuation Date to match the Inventory Valuation report?
  • Options
    I actually did not understand your question :)
    I will try to explain the method of Valuation Date calculation
    Let say you have a purchase on 1 january 2004 and sold it on 5 january 2004. So valuation date of sellling operation will be 5 january 2004.
    Now you purchase on 5 of january 2004 and sold it on 2 of january 2004 (it can happen :) ). The valuation date will be 5 of january 2004 (for negative operation).
    For positive operations you usually have the same valuation date as posting date.
    I've compared with posting date on item ledger entries with valuation date on value entries.
    Posting date in value entries can be differ and it depends on date you have entered in "adjust cost - item entries" periodic activity or (depending on version and HF'es) it depends on accounting period (is it closed or not ).
    Let say if the dates that i wrote are 2000 year, so system will take posting date for value entry from this periodic activity posting date field in Options tab.
    I'm not talking about production, because in that case there are a lot of other rules.
    In this report (as i understood :wink: ) you can see the quantity and amount for period. So amount is calculated by lookint to posting date of value entry and it can be very interesting :)
    But it will solve you revaluation problem :wink:
    I hope it is now clear and not so easy as it looks like (actually it is much easier :D )
  • Options
    pmcampospmcampos Member Posts: 12
    Hi,
    i have a problem with the valuation date on production, maybe you "i4tost" could help me.
    When i register a consumption of a component in Consumption Journals, the valution date entered by Navision is always 31-12-9999, what is incorrect and in products with the average costing method that is a big problem.
    Do you know why this happen?!

Thanks,
    Pedro
  • Options
    This 31-12-9999 date will be changed after it will be finaly valuated. It means, that when you finish this production order and adjust the cost it will be changed.
    The reason can be that it is not removed from inventory (teorethically) until you get the final product. You can revaluate this inventory and it will be revaluated.
    It is very hard to write everything, but i think you can find a lot of useful information in Manufacturing Costing material. For average costing principles in navision also read Inventory costing material.