External Connector. SQL CAL vs NAV Session

lzrlzr Member Posts: 264
Background:
We have a customer which has a lot of databases on a SQL server. They have unlimited SQL CAL sessions. They have a few services running which access the NAV SQL databases (different report tools as well as data import/export (no, not NAS)).

Questions:
1. When a service connects to a NAV database it will not only consume a SQL CAL session, it will also consume a NAV session?
2. By adding the granule External Connector (to all licenses used by this customer) the above services won't consume any NAV sessions?
Navision developer

Comments

• genericgeneric Member Posts: 511
    1. It will only consume a sql CAL.
    2. The external connector is only for external users (non employees).

So if they are your employee, you have to purchase DCO license for each employee user. Which is around 200 $ per user.

So you need to purchase DCO for every user if they are accessing NAVision data. It doesn't matter if they are accessing some other database. If they are viewing and interactingn the NAV data in any shape or form, you need the DCO license.
  • lzrlzr Member Posts: 264
    Thanks for your answers!

So this customer will need one DCO license for a user running an external report tool e.g. Qlikview or Crystal reports?

I guess the automatic export/import services will not need any license within NAV at all?
    Navision developer
  • ajhvdbajhvdb Member Posts: 672
    But what is the difference between import/export, SQL query, webservice, msmq. They all get data from NAV, so you need a license DCO for internal users or external connector for external users. :shock:

No, not with import/export :roll: I think you are right but this new kind of licensing is preventing development and interest in NAV.
    lzr wrote:
    Thanks for your answers!

So this customer will need one DCO license for a user running an external report tool e.g. Qlikview or Crystal reports?

I guess the automatic export/import services will not need any license within NAV at all?

Yes you need a license for crystal repors or qlikview or sql reporting services.

You also need license for anything that your employee accesses though to NAV data.
    ajhvdb wrote:
    But what is the difference between import/export, SQL query, webservice, msmq. They all get data from NAV, so you need a license DCO for internal users or external connector for external users. :shock:

No, not with import/export :roll: I think you are right but this new kind of licensing is preventing development and interest in NAV.

Yes, it makes integration or any other solution very expensive for employees. Selling NAV will be harder. And most sales people out there don't even know about this. So the client will pay at the end through the roof.
  • jlandeenjlandeen Member Posts: 524
    I think it also depends on where and how users are connecting to Navision. If the users are using an external system and needs to retrieve or integrate with Navision then you may not need to have individual licenses for those users. Say something like users accessing a dataware house - those users are accessing a different database that is simply feed by Navision (and possibly other) data sources.

If users are accessing Navision more directly but just using SQL as the connection protocol then they will need licenses.
    Jeff Landeen - Sr. Consultant
    Epimatic Corp.

http://www.epimatic.com
    jlandeen wrote:
    I think it also depends on where and how users are connecting to Navision. If the users are using an external system and needs to retrieve or integrate with Navision then you may not need to have individual licenses for those users. Say something like users accessing a dataware house - those users are accessing a different database that is simply feed by Navision (and possibly other) data sources.

If users are accessing Navision more directly but just using SQL as the connection protocol then they will need licenses.

If you read the FAQ, it specifically mentions Database warehouse (CUBE) and that you do need license for your users.
    I'd seen some documentation on the DCO license but I hadn't seen the FAQ and it does look like under the new licensing model has changed things and my comments were based on previous versions.

So then it comes down to whether users access the system are really internal or external and whether they can be named or not named. If they're internal (i.e. employed by or sub contracted by the company) then they need named DCO licenses if the users are external or cannot be named (think website guests) then an External Connector granule is required.

I also am not sure how indirect the access has to be if it is to be covered by a DCO - it seems that once a human is involved in the process of data generation or manipulation vs. an automated process affects this.

I'm now quite concerned that this may put a larger burden on some of the Navision sites and force them away from investing in automation and more streamline systematic processes as they will now have an added requirement of a DCO license.
    Epimatic Corp.

Finally...

I've mentioned this in here.

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=30704

But from what I see people are not waking up :!: :!: :!: :!:
    Yeah I do see that now....but as the bulk of my work is still with older clients I haven't been monitoring that section as much as this one.

Needless to say I really don't like the DCO restrcictions...it forces users away from integrating with Navision (which can make systems more disconnected and non-functional for customers).
    Epimatic Corp.