Global DB

sriram_venkatsriram_venkat Member Posts: 129
Hi

what does this Global Db means in NAV 2009. Few were mentioning that NAV 2009 has the global DB similar to AX.

Can you please clarify

Comments

• DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    Could you explain a little more about what you mean? There is nothing called "Global Db" in NAV, just regular databases.
  • sriram_venkatsriram_venkat Member Posts: 129
    What i mean is...

Assuming a company has a corporate level funcitons and various branches with sub functions, NAV expects to have a seperate DB and consolidation to be done.

What i understood is that AX allows you to have a global DB on which the Branch functions can be integrated seamlessly without having to have a seperate DB. Please clarify...
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    I have no knowledge of any AX functionality, so I can't help you there. I don't know what you're talking about when you say:
    Assuming a company has a corporate level funcitons and various branches with sub functions, NAV expects to have a seperate DB and consolidation to be done.

Even if I did, then you didn't ask a question. What is it exactly that you want to know?
  • matttraxmatttrax Member Posts: 2,309
    NAV has a W1 version that is localized by different countries. Companies must then purchase licenses for each country specific version of NAV. Since your license agreement limits you to one production database per license then yes, you have different databases for each country.

I don't know exactly how AX works, but I do know that you can add country localizations to a database and everything can function from within the same place. Technically this can also be done in NAV, but is not recommended.
  • ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,256
    You don't need to purchase license for each country, if you merge them. Also if there is no mandatory gov requirements, you can skip that country all together and use another country version. For example you can use US version of db in UK, Netherland, France, germany. You can take certain localization of of those countries and put them into US.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n