Field Cursor Postition on any Card

AAshokAAshok Member Posts: 53
hi All,

Is it possible to know what is the field number of table whereever the cursor is placed?

when i place my mouse cursor on any card I want the field name or field number of cursor where i have placed it?

i have tried with sendkeys as table filter but i cant.

for eg:

On customer card if i place my cursor on "Phone No." then i need a message like " Cursor is at field no. 9 with field name Phone No. ..... etc"

Thanks in advance

Ashok.A

Comments

• kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    You can use CurrFieldNo but it is defined only on tables, not on the forms. Why you need that? May be there is another solution...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • garakgarak Member Posts: 3,263
    or u use the OnActivate() - trigger of ervery control to store the last Active Control in a variable.
    But as kine ask, why do you need this? Need the customer this because he is searching for the courser?
    Do you make it right, it works too!
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    That is a road down disaster. I am sure that you can find some way to force the system to do something like that, but you will be modifying every single form to please the customer, and they will expect you not to charge them for it. There are roughly 1500 forms in a standard NAV database. Say you take 5 minutes per form to program every single control (and that is a gross underestimation), pretty soon you're looking at 3 weeks of work. Now throw in some add-ons and some customizations, it's not uncommon to have close to 2500-3000 forms. Are you prepared to go down that road?

What is the actual requirement? Aside from a technical question of how to catch the cursor going into a specific field, what is the goal in functional terms? What is the user trying to get out of this? Does this have something to do with mandatory fields?
  • gerdhuebnergerdhuebner Member Posts: 155
    The only possibility to get the desired behavior (without external software) is to use the ToolTip property of the form's textboxes. This is because there is no MouseHover or similar event which can be triggered from within a NAV form control except the mentioned tooltip behavior. But this is a manual job which has to be done for each textbox separately and there is no automatism when you change the SourceExpression of a textbox or when you add new textboxes to a form.
  • SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
    I always thought tooltip was an under used property. we use it alot when creating new fields.
    it's easier to enter what that field is ment for and how to enter info into it using tooltip then creating "company notes" or f1 help files.

A simple mouseover and the info is right there
  • AAshokAAshok Member Posts: 53
    Hi All

Thanks for each n every one for your valuable suggestions.

i too feel the tool tip is the best option for them.

Thanks a lot once again.

Thank You
    Ashok.A