Anti virus software on NAV native databasae server

JohnConJohnCon Member Posts: 55
Has anyone experienced issues with running an antivirus software (symantec) on the NAV native database server.
Should you run antivirus software on the NAV database server?

Comments

• bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    IMHO a database server should be dedicated and locked down. This means the only thing it runs is the database server engine and no users (non-admin) have direct access to any of its drives. All DB access is via the DB service.

If you do install anti-virus you need to set an exception for the database files. Having a DB file scanned by an anti-virus autoscan can kill performance.
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    Not only kill performance, but create problems when first user is connecting to the server each day morning. In thiscase, server wants to open the DB file, but the antivirus start his scann and until the scan is finished, server cannot open the file. It will end on timeout, because the DB file is big and the scan took too much time. It is common problem, just look into the forms how mny times it was asked "I am not able to connect to DB server"...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,110
    kine wrote:
    It is common problem, just look into the forms how mny times it was asked "I am not able to connect to DB server"...
    Strange, I never ran into this.
    Is it because the sistemists think about it or because they don't worry about virusses? :-k
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!

• kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    It is not working in this way each time, e.g. when there is NAS connected, you will not have this problem. And it is doing that only with some antiviruses...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.