Automated data entry testing?

AlexWileyAlexWiley Member Posts: 230
Hello everyone,

I'm talking to one of our new developers and he is mentioning a system of testing I've never used with Navision before. He says he wants to write a series of scripts to automatically enter and post Purchase Orders, Sales Orders, Warehouse Pick/Receipt, and so on so that every time they implement a code change in test they can run the scripts and have it check to make sure everything posts the same way it did before. The idea is that you check to make sure nothing was unintentionally altered or broken with the input of new code. It makes sense but I have no experience with this or if it has/can be used with Navision, or if there are an issues that might come up as a result of its use.

If anyone has experience with this I would appreciate any reviews or input you have! Thanks in advance!

Comments

• ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,256
    I would say it's mission impossible.

For example you can have 1000's of different setups. So how can you validate that it posted correctly.
    Also if you add a new field that lets say will flow from sales order, you'll need to change your script tool.

I suggest to create Codeunits that you can run. Each Codeunit will create and post the tasks you mentioned.
    So they can just run the Codeunit. This still has limitations.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
  • garakgarak Member Posts: 3,263
    Do you mean something like the "Application Benchmark Toolkit".
    There you can also design your scripts for createing, for example, invoices, customers, vendors, payments and so on.
    But if you change some code in your tables / Forms you must also change the source in the scripts.

Or you create a little robot that only simulates the user inteactions (keystrokes).
    This i've designed in the past for an POS system to check how many cash register receipt the POS can create (with eleapsed user interaction time). But also there i must change the scripts if we change the source of the POS.
    Do you make it right, it works too!
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    AlexWiley wrote:
    Hello everyone,

I'm talking to one of our new developers and he is mentioning a system of testing I've never used with Navision before. He says he wants to write a series of scripts to automatically enter and post Purchase Orders, Sales Orders, Warehouse Pick/Receipt, and so on so that every time they implement a code change in test they can run the scripts and have it check to make sure everything posts the same way it did before. The idea is that you check to make sure nothing was unintentionally altered or broken with the input of new code. It makes sense but I have no experience with this or if it has/can be used with Navision, or if there are an issues that might come up as a result of its use.

If anyone has experience with this I would appreciate any reviews or input you have! Thanks in advance!

Regression testing is not possible in some suitable cost/time. It is too complicated to do some automated testing with result checking and validating. You can only do some minor scripts and see "if there is some error". If you will create some regression testing tool for NAV which is "easy" to use, I will call you "King of NAV testing". 8)
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.