FIND('-') and FINFIRST

Vineeth.RVineeth.R Member Posts: 121
Dear Friends,

I am using Nav4.0 SP3 and i found something funny.
USE FINDFIRST Result is wrong
vInt := 0;
Table1.reset;
Table1.setrange(field1,value);
Table1.setrange(field2,value);
if Table1.FINDFIRST then begin
message('%1',Table1.count); //Count shows 8
repeat
vInt += 1;
until Table1.next = 0;
message('%1', vint); // vint is 5
end;
USE FIND('-') working fine
Table1.reset;
repeat
vInt += 1;
until Table1.next = 0;
message('%1', vint); // vint is 8
end;

Please advise why this funny scenario..

thanks and Regards
Vineeth.R
Thanks and Regards
Vineeth.R

Comments

• mohana_cse06mohana_cse06 Member Posts: 5,504
    in both cases u have used FINFIRST..wre is find(-) :?:
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    It is because you missused the FINDFIRST. It is used ONLY IF YOU NEED THE ONE Record, when you will not go through the set in loop like you did. In this case you need to use FINDSET. I recommend to read some basics about using FINDFIRST, FINDLAST, FINDSET and ISEMPTY... 8)
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • garakgarak Member Posts: 3,263
    The FINDFIRST / FINDLAST command is only for getting the first rec on the table and is not designed for looping.
    Nav set a sql query like this:
    Select Top 1 * from ......

To get a resultset use findset([ForUpdate][, UpdateKey]) or find('-') (find('-') with locktable if many datachanges in the loop self)

If you only need to know, exist there some datas in the table based on my filters use MyRecTableAsVariable.ISEMPTY.
    Here NAV create a sql query like this
    select Top 1 NULL from ....

Regards
    Do you make it right, it works too!
  • Vineeth.RVineeth.R Member Posts: 121
    Dear Friends,

Sorry i forgot to highlight FIND('-') please see again:

USE FINDFIRST Result is wrong
    Table1.reset;
    repeat
    vInt += 1;
    until Table1.next = 0;
    message('%1', vint); // vint is 5
    end;

USE FIND('-') working fine
    Table1.reset;
    if Table1.FIND('-')then begin
    repeat
    vInt += 1;
    until Table1.next = 0;
    message('%1', vint); // vint is 8
    end;

Please advise why this funny scenario..

Dear Garak,

So you mean when ever i need to loop i have to go for FINDSET or FIND('-') in lower versions right? can u guess why i got vInt as 5 in the second scenario here.?

thanks and Regards
    Vineeth.R
    Thanks and Regards
    Vineeth.R
  • WaldoWaldo Member Posts: 3,412
    I wrote a blog ones: What impact does my C/AL have on SQL? (you can find the entire series here).

I might suggest that you read it ... 8)

Eric Wauters
    MVP - Microsoft Dynamics NAV
    My blog
    Yes, read the documentation and blogs about this, you need to understand correctly how it works, to be able to use it correctly. E.g. replacing all FIND('-') before loop with FINDSET is not correct too... all depends on averae count of records you will loop etc.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • WaldoWaldo Member Posts: 3,412
    kine wrote:
    E.g. replacing all FIND('-') before loop with FINDSET is not correct too... all depends on averae count of records you will loop etc.
    Hm, I'm do not entirely agree with that... .
    I investigated that in the article above ... off course I would like your opinion on this :).

Eric Wauters
    MVP - Microsoft Dynamics NAV
    My blog
  • garakgarak Member Posts: 3,263
    search the forum for perfomance and findset, read the "waldo Blog" and read the MS Blogs (search google for Navision findset / isempty). There are a lot of examples.
    Do you make it right, it works too!
    Waldo wrote:
    kine wrote:
    E.g. replacing all FIND('-') before loop with FINDSET is not correct too... all depends on averae count of records you will loop etc.
    Hm, I'm do not entirely agree with that... .
    I investigated that in the article above ... off course I would like your opinion on this :).

I mean it in the intentions you have wrote. There can be dependency of "optimal" usage on record count and man need to know that. If it will have really measurable impact or not is another question.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    You can't just replace all FIND('-') occurrances with FINDFIRST, or FINDSET. It depends on the purpose. FIND('-') was used for a number of different purposes:
    • To get a set of records to loop through. For this purpose we now use FINDSET. Check out the C/SIDE reference guide for syntax
    • To get the first record within the filter. The bad thing about it is that it actually gets all records, so if you only need the first one, you get too much. For this purpose we now use FINDFIRST, which gets just one record. If you want to loop through a set of records, this is not the correct keyword to use. FINDLAST gets only the last one.
    • To determine whether records exist within the filter. A better keyword for this purpose is ISEMPTY. So instead of "IF MyRecord.FIND('-')", you would do "IF NOT MyRecord.ISEMPTY". This returns a boolean instead of a set of records. Much easier on the system resources

So in your case, you are going to loop through the records, so you need to use FINDSET. Depending on whether you are going to modify these records, and even modify fields that are part of the filter, you need to set the right parameter values. See the C/SIDE reference guide for more details.

You should really not use FIND('-') anymore.