Technical Update 3.7 - 5.0sp1

wwestendorpwwestendorp Member Posts: 178
Dear all,

Is it possible to just perform a technical update on a 3.7b Navision Server to 5.0sp1 so we could run it with SQL 2005 without updating the objects?

What kind of experience do you have acc. Poss. Problems?

Comments

• davmac1davmac1 Member Posts: 1,283
    I have migrated 3.6 objects with NAV 3.6 executables on NAV server to 5.01 executables with SQL Server 2005.
    Runs great.
    Had to run date fix and handle any sorting that was relying on numeric numbers in code fields sorting numerically - this was primarily a problem with custom tables relying on finding the last record.
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    Dear all,

Is it possible to just perform a technical update on a 3.7b Navision Server to 5.0sp1 so we could run it with SQL 2005 without updating the objects?

What kind of experience do you have acc. Poss. Problems?

Yes I have done it a number of times with no problems.

Of course watch out for normal issues, like users on Win2000 or Citrix on 2000 etc.
    David Singleton
  • wwestendorpwwestendorp Member Posts: 178
    What would be the Best way,

I read on the Microsoft site that there are 2 ways.

Open the Db in the New client und confirm the Update ""and hope for the best" and then create new menu's if needed and chack the rights etc.

OR

Import the Backup of the Database and crate new menu's

What are the advantages or disadvantages of each other method?
  • ajhvdbajhvdb Member Posts: 672
    davmac1 wrote:
    I have migrated 3.6 objects with NAV 3.6 executables on NAV server to 5.01 executables with SQL Server 2005.
    Runs great.
    Had to run date fix and handle any sorting that was relying on numeric numbers in code fields sorting numerically - this was primarily a problem with custom tables relying on finding the last record.

About numeric numbers. Did you change the type of the field?
  • davmac1davmac1 Member Posts: 1,283
    the app was getting the last ship to code for a customer. For a quick fix, I added an integer field with the same value, made a new key, and used it to get the last value.
    This is a highly customized version and we did not have time to come up with a more elegant solution.