Adjusting Costs - Chars in "No." Field

SoloperSoloper Member Posts: 102
Hi you all again;

I have another question about adjusting costs.

Adjust costs batch firstly calculates the average cost of the items which have only numbers in "No." field. This process passes really quick (500 Items in one hour)

After this, the items which has at least one char in "No." field is being calculated. In this part of Adjust Costs batch It works too slow (10 Items in one hour)

Why does "to have chars in "No." affect adjusting?
Why is it so slower?
How can I adjust items in second situation as fast as itmes in first situation?

Comments

• SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
    Personally I do not think Item #'s having Alphabetical Char's would change the speed of the process.

In fact the items we have that use Alphabetical Char's go faster than the purely numerical one's.

The reason I see for this is that (for us) the Alphabetical #'s are simply used less, Less Purcahases, less sales, less everything. In your case perhaps it's ths opposite.

I'm assuming you've run this report many times to come to this conclusion.
    I mean, do you have equal amounts of items with & without numbers?
    of course if you have 100 numerical items and 1000 alphabetical items - it would appear alphabetical item numbers take longer.

So to answer you question, I don't think there is anything you can do or change. Those "slower" numbers just need more processing.
  • ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,256
    It has to do with more with what kind of costing method the item has. How many transaction the item has. Is it lot or serial tracked. As well as is it manufactured or produced.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
  • SoloperSoloper Member Posts: 102
    ara3n wrote:
    It has to do with more with what kind of costing method the item has. How many transaction the item has. Is it lot or serial tracked. As well as is it manufactured or produced.

Here an example for transaction counts;
    Adjusting takes just 30 seconds for a numerical item which has 649 transactions.
    It takes approx. 6 minutes for an alphabetical item which has 448 transactions.

- In inventory setup, "Average cost calc. type" is "Item". (It should be "Item - Location - Variant" in this case?)
    - There are four locations.
    - Costing method on item cards (for all items) is "Average"
    - Alphabeticals are not lot tracked while numericals are. This is the most important difference of these two groups. This must be the key point?

Thanks for the quick and valuable responses.

Really thanks.
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    and main differenece: how far into history you are posting the transactions for each item. If you post ONE entry into history for one item, all entres since this date will be adjusted. It means if e.g. the items "with char" are used in a way that the movements are posted e.g. 3 weeks into history, it will be much longer to adjust them...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
    kine wrote:
    and main differenece: how far into history you are posting the transactions for each item. If you post ONE entry into history for one item, all entres since this date will be adjusted. It means if e.g. the items "with char" are used in a way that the movements are posted e.g. 3 weeks into history, it will be much longer to adjust them...

Thanks for the response kine.

We did never adjusted items before.
    This is the first time which means all the entries will be adjusted.

Thanks again.
    Savatage wrote:
    Personally I do not think Item #'s having Alphabetical Char's would change the speed of the process.

In fact the items we have that use Alphabetical Char's go faster than the purely numerical one's.

The reason I see for this is that (for us) the Alphabetical #'s are simply used less, Less Purcahases, less sales, less everything. In your case perhaps it's ths opposite.

I'm assuming you've run this report many times to come to this conclusion.
    I mean, do you have equal amounts of items with & without numbers?
    of course if you have 100 numerical items and 1000 alphabetical items - it would appear alphabetical item numbers take longer.

So to answer you question, I don't think there is anything you can do or change. Those "slower" numbers just need more processing.

I've found something. We know that "New lines is being added for each adjusted item while adjust costs batch is running". And my problem can be about that.

As I said before, the batch starts processing numerical items first (because of the order sequence). While numerical items was being adjused, record count in value entry is not too much. After 500-600 items processed, the record count increased by 100.000 line. And It keeps going to increase. If the increase of record count in adjusment process is important, we can say that is the main point of my thought. And also this is the exact explanation of my case. Right?

If it is so, is there any way to make faster it?

Thank you so much for every response.
  • SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
    Soloper wrote:
    We did never adjusted items before.
    Soloper wrote:
    If it is so, is there any way to make faster it?

Run the report completely. Then make a habit of doing it on a regular basis.

Running it every week as compared to a every month or more is a huge difference on time.