Options

Sharing same information within multi company

BHTBHT Member Posts: 56
edited 2006-08-03 in Navision Financials
Is it possible for me to share same table (item/vendor/customer) whithin all companies in one database?
My customer have spesific structure organization that have more than 6 profit center. And the advise I get only create these profit center into different company. But how about sharing same table data if these profit center split into companies?
Have another idea for my problem?
Regards,
BHT

Comments

• Options
    Luc_VanDyckLuc_VanDyck Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 3,633
    There exists a property on the table: DataPerCompany. Default is Yes. If you change this to No, all the table data is available for all the companies.
    No support using PM or e-mail - Please use this forum. BC TechDays 2024: 13 & 14 June 2024, Antwerp (Belgium)
  • Options
    PhilippePhilippe Member Posts: 27
    Hi,

Is it possible to share just a few tables (not all) ? Is it possible to change these settings afterwards ?

Regards,
  • Options
    Luc_VanDyckLuc_VanDyck Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 3,633
    You can define this property for each table separately. I believe you can change the setting from No to Yes but not vice versa.
    No support using PM or e-mail - Please use this forum. BC TechDays 2024: 13 & 14 June 2024, Antwerp (Belgium)
  • Options
    BobBrownBobBrown Member Posts: 17
    It is possible to change this property on any table only when the table contains no data. If you have data in the table, you will have to export it, delete it, change the property, then import it back into Navision. You must realize that everything in the customer table will be shared between the companies in the database. This proved to be a problem for one of our clients who did this because the customer had to have the same salesperson in each company. Make sure you think this type of change all the way through before making it in a client's live database.

• Options
    John_TegelaarJohn_Tegelaar Member Posts: 159
    From No to Yes is always possible, but from Yes to No only when there's data in not more than one company.

Be aware of the consequences, however, when changing this property on crucial tables in the system. You must be very sure that each and every field in the table (in the table definition!) is allowed to be the very same in each of the companies. Dangerous areas for the customer table are i.e. the posting groups, discount groups, salesperson, etc.

John
  • Options
    TemingTeming Member Posts: 4
    Can a parent company post 60% of the expense to one child company and 40% to the other child company?
  • Options
    John_TegelaarJohn_Tegelaar Member Posts: 159
    Teming,

Nothing is impossible (as we often say to customers), but is it practical? Is it worthwhile to make special routines for actions that are quite variable by nature? In your case, is the division *always* 60/40, or depends it on type of costs, parent company, child company, or whatever? If some variations might occur, how to setup things? Which parameters, which conditions? To what extend do you want to automate such a process?

Perhaps you would be better off by using a spreadsheet to prepare the postings and import the data through a dataport into a joined table (with i.e. a field indicating for which child company the line is intended). In each of the child companies you could have a journal which reads from the joined table, filtering out its own lines, and do the posting in the standard way.

John
  • Options
    fdelbecqfdelbecq Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

Is it possible to export the whole list of customers (of all companies),
    where my property 'DataPerCompany' is set to 'Yes'?
    How can I do this with a simple dataport and into one file?

:-k
  • Options
    themavethemave Member Posts: 1,058
    Never mind