Prevention of editing the Item Card via the Pencil Icon

Mark_SteeleMark_Steele Member Posts: 12
Hi there,

My first post so I hope I've posted this in the right forum :)

Is there a way to prevent editing of the item card by disabling the pencil icon (therefore preventing toggle edit)?
I'm using Dynamics NAV 5.00.

Many Thanks,
Mark

Comments

• matttraxmatttrax Member Posts: 2,309
    Do you mean you don't want users to add comments to an item? That's usually what the "Pencil Button" does.

Since the Comment Line table holds comments for multiple objects it's a little trickier. Are you running on SQL? Is it for all users or just certain ones?
  • Mark_SteeleMark_Steele Member Posts: 12
    Hi Matttrax

Sorry, I should have explained further.
    I meant the pencil icon at the bottom left hand corner of the Item Card, the one that toggles editing for the whole card.
  • matttraxmatttrax Member Posts: 2,309
    I've never seen a pencil icon on the bottom left of any card, so it is probably a customization to your database. You have all kinds of options.

1. Don't give modify permission for the item table to those users
    2. Add a column in user setup and make the button invisible for that user if it is not checked
    OnOpenForm:
    UserSetup.GET(USERID);
    Button.ENABLED := UserSetup.HasPermission

3. Add a specific role and write code to check if a user has that role (no permissions assigned and longer code)
  • Mark_SteeleMark_Steele Member Posts: 12
    Thanks again, matttrax.
    I will work through your suggestions and check with our NAV supplier.
  • JzaJza Member Posts: 24
    Hi Mark,

I think i've seen a similar button on our forms so maybe we have the same reseller? Does it control the editing of the Item/Vendor/Cred Control forms etc too, and sits in the bottom left of the forms?

The button runs some code that sets the editable property on the form. It sits over a table that stores users names and what forms they control. If the user isnt in that form, it simply toggles the edit on/off of the form?

I'd recommend you leave it alone and set up the correct permissions as it can be a nightmare to get right as you have to make sure you have the user set up for every form that uses the control.... and then have to set up all the users on the system too... if my memory is correct.
  • husky570husky570 Member Posts: 1
    Hi Mark I agree with jza - roles and permissions would be my recommendation too, failing that just use the change log to see if anyone has edited any fields on the item card.