Options

Hardware Sizing Guide

ta5ta5 Member Posts: 1,164
edited 2009-06-30 in NAV Three Tier
Hello

Is there an official Hardware Sizing Guide for NAV 2009? I didn't find it on Partner Source. On the CD, in nav_install.chm only short information is given. Actually in the helpfile mentioned they just refer to the hardware requirements of the os and the db.

Thanks
Thomas

Answers

• Options
    ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,255
    I haven't seen it either. As far has the difference between 5.0 and 2009. You have a new service tier. Everything else would be the same.
    For Service tier you'll need as many cpu as possible and and more than 4 gig of memory.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
  • Options
    Hi Rashed
    Thanks for the reply. Do you think such a whitepaper will be released in the near future? It's a bit strange to handout the one for 5.0 and say it's basically the same...

Regards
    Thomas
  • Options
    David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    ta5 wrote:
    Hi Rashed
    Thanks for the reply. Do you think such a whitepaper will be released in the near future? It's a bit strange to handout the one for 5.0 and say it's basically the same...

Regards
    Thomas

Take a look at how much damage was created by the sizing guide released for servers some years back. At the risk of creating a disaster like that again, it's surely better to not release anything till they are sure.
    David Singleton
  • Options
    Ok, no problem, I was just wondering...
  • Options
    themavethemave Member Posts: 1,058
    ta5 wrote:
    Hi Rashed

Regards
    Thomas

Take a look at how much damage was created by the sizing guide released for servers some years back. At the risk of creating a disaster like that again, it's surely better to not release anything till they are sure.
    since it is released, don't you think they should be sure already ?
  • Options
    JohnConJohnCon Member Posts: 55
    a sizing guide white paper for nav 2009 has been released. I am not sure how to attach it to this post, or if i can upload it somewhere.
  • Options
    ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,255
    you can post a link to it.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
  • Options
    I think it has been announced for March in the "Microsoft Dynamics NAV U.S. Partner News: February 2009" newsletter earlier this week.

Thomas
  • Options
    Did someone find it by today?
    My problem is how to determine the sizing for the nst. I guess, one dedicated server for SQL Server and at least one dedicated server for the nst. But the question is the sizing of the nst server and how many users per nst server.
    Any info (either documents or knowledge from existing solutions) will be appreciated.
    Thanks much.
    Thomas
  • Options
    clauslclausl Member Posts: 455
    Claus Lundstrøm | MVP | Senior Product Manager | Continia.com
    I'm blogging here:http://mibuso.com/blogs/clausl and used to blog here: http://blogs.msdn.com/nav
    I'm also offering RDLC Report Training, ping me if you are interested. Thanks to the 700 NAV developers that have now already been at my training. You know you can always call if you have any RDLC report issues :-)
  • Options
    clausl wrote:

Thanks!
    Based on this, can somebody share his/her experience in real world installations for example for 100 users? Additional question: With shared hardware, is there a benefit of using 2 nst and the sql server on the same machine vs. using 1 nst and the sql server on the same machine?

Thanks in advance
    Thomas
  • Options
    ta5 wrote:
    clausl wrote:

Thanks!
    Based on this, can somebody share his/her experience in real world installations for example for 100 users? Additional question: With shared hardware, is there a benefit of using 2 nst and the sql server on the same machine vs. using 1 nst and the sql server on the same machine?

Thanks in advance
    Thomas

In terms of multi purpose servers, are you planning this with Hyper-V or VMWare? I don;t know a lot about Hyper-V, but I gather it works a lot like VMWare, so the issue is going to be managing the resources correctly. Make sure you have plenty of CPUs and RAM available, and use a high end SAN and make sure you get someone that really understands Navision/SAN/SQL/VMWare, don't experiment. In terms of the NST, just a gut feeling, but I would go for more rather than less. There is no real cost difference, since your VMware or Hyper-V will be on (I guess) a CPU license model. Having more than one will give you better statistics and a better balancing ability.

Also think about fall over. If you have one huge box with everything on it, then you need an identically huge box for the fall over. But if you have multiple smaller boxes, fall over is much easier VMWare will know what resources are available, and move stuff around as needed in a failure, if one of many boxes fails.
    David Singleton
  • Options
    frankiben123frankiben123 Member Posts: 1
    wow....nice post.....
    sales tracking software
  • Options
    Its not planned on virtual server, so we are not sure on how many dedicated servers will be needed.
    Thanks
    Thomas
  • Options
    ta5 wrote:
    Its not planned on virtual server, so we are not sure on how many dedicated servers will be needed.
    Thanks
    Thomas

So then you need one server dedicated to SQL, and then two for the Navision server (middle tier).
    David Singleton
  • Options
    Thats what I was afraid of :wink:
    Assuming that all on one server (SQL, NST for 100 Users) is a no go.

Not to mention with 3 machines it's going to be quite expensive, isnt't it?

Thomas
  • Options
    Cost of hardware is generally a fairly trivial component of the total cost of ownership of any ERP system.

The client is going to pay a lot more for managing and supporting bad hardware than they could ever spend on buying the proper hardware from the beginning.

if you try to find shortcuts so that your client can pay less for hardware, then you are NOT doing them a good service.
    David Singleton
  • Options
    Thanks for all your contributions. Very appreciated.
    Thomas
  • Options
    infonoteinfonote Member Posts: 233
    Not sure if it is of any help but some related information may be available in the installation and configuration guide from Partnersource.

ta5 wrote:
    Hello

Is there an official Hardware Sizing Guide for NAV 2009? I didn't find it on Partner Source. On the CD, in nav_install.chm only short information is given. Actually in the helpfile mentioned they just refer to the hardware requirements of the os and the db.

Thanks
    Thomas