Navision 'Locked Up'

ccbryan63ccbryan63 Member Posts: 115
Hi.. client reports Navision has is 'frozen'. When I try to open the database it gives the message "You cannot use the file because it is being used by another process." This situation has persisted for over an hour, but it did start during the business day. Client is not aware that anyone kicked off an unusual job. I can open other databases on the client's server.

Is there any way to 'break in'? How dangerous would it be to reboot the server?

This is a Nav 4.0 installation on a native (non-SQL) database.

Thanks very much...

Comments

• DeepDeep Member Posts: 569
    Check whether the client is opening the database locally which is already opened in server, or the database has been opened locally by any user, restricting the other user to log in.
    Regards,

Deep
    India
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    If the DB is placed in folder which is shared, check the opened files through management console and look on who have this file opened. It is not good to have the DB on shared folder if the DB is accessible through NAV server...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    I would bet money that Deep and Kamil are correct, 99% chance someone else has opened the database directly. Or even through another server. The native database is pretty much rock solid, and rebooting the server should be a safe way to fix this. So long as you have a solid disk subsystem on RAID1.

It could also be flushing the commit cache, but that should not take an hour unless you have serious disk performance issues. But it is possible that someone got the cache flush message and then killed their session, but that task is server based, so will still run.
    David Singleton
  • ccbryan63ccbryan63 Member Posts: 115
    Thanks guys. As it happened, I was showing the problem to a colleague when it cleared up on its own. So either the person who had it open directly got out or the huge job finished (?). Seems like someone there would have known if they kicked off that intensive a job though.

In any case: solved. Thanks again...
  • bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    Verify that no user has access to the database file(s). If anyone does, revoke those rights. The only user that needs access to the database files is the account running the NAV service. As a general rule (not just NAV) database servers should be locked down with only bare minimum access required. No users require any level of access to the NAV server. This will prevent this from happening again.
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.