Error: Overflow Text - Text

mkuszamkusza Member Posts: 40
Has anyone run into this notification?
When our customer attempts to access "where used" by going "Item - Manufacturing - Where used" they get the following error.

"Overflow of type conversion of text to text
Value: (Item number),(Item Desc)"

We've tried a number of changes but have had no luck.

Any ideas?

I ran into this problem today making the description field longer. I can have a description longer than 30 characters (set it to 50), but i can not have a combimed item and description equaling over 50 becuase the where used gives me the overflow error. I am lost on how to change the SetCaption function on the Prod. Where used form.

Comments

• MindieMindie Member Posts: 124
    Expanding the description field usually causes many overflow errors because that description field is used many places. The amount of changes you would need to make to avoid these errors causes the modification to be unreasonable. Instead, I would suggest they used Description and Description 2.
  • mkuszamkusza Member Posts: 40
    We currently do use description 2 as "Full Part #" And that is attached to something, but i forget what it is now. The partner or employee before me would have set this up for them. The problem is that they want their entire description....so far i have only ran into the where-used overflow error.
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    The Item number is 20 characters, the description in standard NAV is 30, and 50 in your case. So adding those two fields together might give you up to 70 characters, and if the target is not that long, you get an overflow error. You will need to do one of two things:
    1: make sure that the target variable is long enough to hold those two fields together
    2: cut the string to size before assigning it to the target variable
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    mkusza wrote:
    I ran into this problem today making the description field longer.

This is an important step in the process to become a Navision consultant or developer.

Personally I have given up telling people not to extend the length of fields. It seems the only way people will learn is by doing it them selves, and then having to fix up the mess created. Thus learning not to do it the next time.

Consider this a very important learning step.
    David Singleton
  • garakgarak Member Posts: 3,263
    To find out, where the error comes you can start the debugger. then you have the first place where the "bug" is.
    But there are other places where an error can pop up. so use the DevTool to find out, where the Item Description field is used in your database.
    May be you must then expand some parameters in function, retourn values, Variales (local, global) and some fieldlenghts.

A other way is also, make a copy of your database! delete the Description field in the table item -> save the table -> compile all objects -> now you see also where the Item Description is used. Now you must check all these codesnipes / fields and there relations to other functions ...

Good luck .....

Regards
    Do you make it right, it works too!
    Thanks for all that information. I am not a developer or consultant, just the IT / Quality Coordinator that has to do what he is told by upper management. We don't have the dev tools so obviously i will not be extending those fields. Thanks for your responses as i am sure this will help future incidents and other developers, consultants, and/or IT personnel from making these mistakes.

Thanks again
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    mkusza wrote:
    We don't have the dev tools

How did you manage then to make the description field longer?
    David Singleton
    It appears he went to Object Designer > Table > Description and changed the length