NAV Windows Authentication On NT4 Domain

Jonathan2708Jonathan2708 Member Posts: 552
Hi,

I am soon to install NAV 2009 (using classic clients) at a site where they have an NT4 domain. The NAV database will be SQL 2008 running on Windows 2003 Server. I want to use Windows Authentication but have only ever used this on Active Directory. Can I expect any problems with NT4 domain users?

Thanks

Jonathan

Comments

• bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    I would suspect that you will run into issue. Also since Microsoft ended support for NT 6 years ago you will be sort of on your own to resolve the issues. I'd suggest you upgrade the network (should have already) or give up the idea of Windows Authentication.
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.
  • ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,256
    I've had clients that weren't on active directory and used windows authentication. basically in Nav they could not do a lookup to select a user they would just type the domain\userid in windows authenication window and it worked. With classic 2009 the same would still apply. I don't know for 3 tier. Main reason is that the service tier passes the authentication from the user to the sql server. So you see the actual use logged in instead of a generic Service tier account.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
  • Jonathan2708Jonathan2708 Member Posts: 552
    Many thanks for the replies!
  • ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,256
    You are welcome. Let us know how it goes. I'm sure other users out there would like to know if the 3 tier will work.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
  • Jonathan2708Jonathan2708 Member Posts: 552
    Will do. By the way I'm assuming 3 tier is not possible at all with database authentication?
  • bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    Will do. By the way I'm assuming 3 tier is not possible at all with database authentication?

That is correct
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.