Undo Transfer Order Shipments & Delete in Item Ledger

ottobeottobe Member Posts: 67
Have anybody created an Undo function for Transfer Shipments?
This would really be a handy function.

I ave looked into 2 possible ways to do it:

For all shipped lines:
- Use an Item Journal to change location from In Transit Location back to Transfer-from Location
- Delete transfer shipment docs and lines
- Delete shipment transfer lines and change transfer lines Qty etc
- If Item tracking - cleanup in Reservation Entry

The problem with this approach is that an Item Journal do not work when using a In Transit location as Location Code. It seems to get the Quantity wrong.
Do anybody have a explanation/solution for this?

The hard-core solution would be to:
- Delete ILE Entries
- Delete Value Entries
- Delete Reservation Entries
- Delete Item Entry Relation
- ++

Even if I try not be to respectful about Navision I have some doubts about this approach.
Do anybody have any comments on doing things like this?
Is it absolutely forbidden, or can you do it if you (preferably) have knowledge on what you are doing?
This was a rhetorically question...

Comments

• ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,256
    Never Delete Ledger tables [-X [-X

If you look at undo shipment on posted sales shipment, you'll see how it's done, you need to do it exactly like that.

Now you need to realize that transfer lines create a second transfer line that are filtered on the form and "Parent Line No." is filled in. on second line that.
    As far as location concerned you need to look at the code that errors, usually they have an if statement above it that can be bypassed.

I suggest to get your solution center involved.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
  • i4tosti4tost Member Posts: 208
    Why you need to undo transfer shipment? I always recomend to customers to finish transfer (post receipt) and then return these items by creating new transfer order. No development, no unknown issues ;)
  • ottobeottobe Member Posts: 67
    That is what they are doing today- receiving and creating a new.
    But they have many TO's with dozens of lines, and quite a few that must be shipped to another Location after it was initially shipped. So it can be time consuming.

Regarding delete in Item Ledger Entry:
    Yes I know this is considered a capital offense, but still questions like that should be asked.
    If you remove every trace of an entry - does it then harm? Well, from my point of view it does not. Remember this is an Inventory transaction, not a financial. But of course- you must clear all tables involved.

Anyway, I will solve this the normal way- using a journal. I have been creating many functions of this type before using journal posting, but ran into a problem with the seemingly special handling of locations of "In Transit" type.
  • i4tosti4tost Member Posts: 208
    You are not right. It is financial operation as well. The materials cost will be posted to GL and you can setup to transfer cost amount to other GL account (depending on location).
    Yes, you are right about that. We are running with Inventory value Zero, but that is of course a special case. Anyway, it will still post to G/L. It could maybe be solved by applying a correction?

I am still struggling with the In Transit Location. It is not possible to correct it either with a Transfer or Neg. Adjustment Journal Type. The Sales Shipment Line is a simpler case as it transfers to a new Location directly, not using a In Transit Location. Correcting the Transfer-from location entry works fine.
  • bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    You do not want to make ANY manual adjustments to the in-transit location. This will cause you major problems with Adjust Cost. The system establishes links thru the in-transit location that insures the destination inventory gets its cost from the original source.

On another note, we have a customer that may have had a similar situation. They operate 7 facilities (2 warehouses, 4 manufacturing plants, and a wholesale market). These are all within a few city blocks and they are constantly moving materials between them. A typical day can see 300 or more line items transferred.

They initially used transfer orders, but this caused problems. It was not uncommon for them to plan on shipping 500 crates from Plant A to Plant B. Loading up the truck and posting the Transfer Shipment. Then deciding that they needed 100 of those crates at Plant C. They would either need to transfer all 500 crates to Plant B and then create a new transfer to move 100 crates to Plant C or post the receipt there and create two new transfers. This created issue as the system would show inventory in places it wasn't. Also the users would try to work around things and create further problems.

Our solution was to effectively abandon the transfer orders and build a somewhat custom solution around the item reclass journal. We still maintain the concept of In-transit as each trailer is considered a location. Product is reclassed from one location onto a trailer then off to a new location. But this gives them the advantage of being able to adjust delivery on the fly. They can put those 500 crates on the truck and send the driver on his way. The 5 minutes later call him on the radio and say "could you drop 100 crates at Plant C?". The driver just stops at Plant c, they scan off 100 crates and send him on is way.
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.
    Thanks for the input bbrown
    I am not trying to manually adjust the in-transit location here, but post a journal line to reverse the previous posting. But i think i got the idea on how to do this:

I will create a function that:
    Changes transfer-to location to the original transfer-from location (in all tables with this info)
    Receives the TO without deleting it
    Delete the shipment transfer lines and changes quantity to ship etc
    recreate tracking information if tracking (a lot of items have tracking)

The idea with using a journal posting is good (i have created a similar solution also- where you simply highlight items and press a button to change bin and location), but the customer also need a more formal transfer because they ship items to and from vessels around the world. The shipment process might take months, and the stuff must be tracked. A lot of papers are involved (customs, packing lists)
    Another possible idea:

You could add a new posting button called something like "Return to Source Location". This would call the normal Transfer-Receipt post to complete the psoting but would also load and post a reclass journal to return the inventory to the original location.

No fooling with data.
    bbrown wrote:
    Another possible idea:

You could add a new posting button called something like "Return to Source Location". This would call the normal Transfer-Receipt post to complete the psoting but would also load and post a reclass journal to return the inventory to the original location.

No fooling with data.

Yes, that was an even better idea- thanks.
    Otto
  • MammoMammo Member Posts: 107
    bbrown wrote:

Our solution was to effectively abandon the transfer orders and build a somewhat custom solution around the item reclass journal. We still maintain the concept of In-transit as each trailer is considered a location. Product is reclassed from one location onto a trailer then off to a new location. But this gives them the advantage of being able to adjust delivery on the fly. They can put those 500 crates on the truck and send the driver on his way. The 5 minutes later call him on the radio and say "could you drop 100 crates at Plant C?". The driver just stops at Plant c, they scan off 100 crates and send him on is way.

This means you were using Item Reclass journal instead of Transfer order to skip the in-transit location in your solution?

regards,
    Mammo wrote:
    bbrown wrote:

This means you were using Item Reclass journal instead of Transfer order to skip the in-transit location in your solution?

regards,

Yes, this solution is using the Item Reclass journal. A Transfer Order is actually just a user interface. The postings are still fed thru the item (reclass) journal. Even though we don't use the "In-Transit" Boolean in the location record, we still use the concept of "In-Transit" locations. Each trailer is identified as a location and transactions are executed to move inventory on and off the trailers.