Hi there..
I just install NODBC and when I configure I found after I click Option
button there is DBQ, can i know what it is since no info about it in manual
and also no info about View File Directory..have anyone know about it :?:

FYI: I use Navision version 5 SP1

Thank you..

Comments

• Jorge_Torres_[MSFT]Jorge_Torres_[MSFT] Member, Microsoft Employee Posts: 29
    You are right, this should be part of the documentation. However, for now, hope it clarifies:

DBQ is relative to a particular DSN.

A Database is an open instance of a single data store with a specific DataBase Qualifier (DBQ).
    In theory a single Session will have one or more open Databases. The first Database opened in any Session will be specified by the DBQ of the DSN. Additional Databases may be opened within a session if the following occurs:
    • A query is issued with the SQL ‘USE’ keyword
    • A table qualifier being used in a SQL query. Example:
    “select * from DSN_DBQ.Currency” will cause an additional database session with the DBQ “DSN_DBQ” to be opened to look for table “Currency” (as long as “DSN_DBQ” wasn’t the original DBQ).

Actually because of a CFront limitation (used by NODBC) only one NAV Native Database can be opened per session and DBQ is not so important. But in some scenarios, some automation tools use DBQ in the generated queries. By default, NODBC considers the DBQ as the path to “View File Directory”. The path used as DQB can confuse NODBC users. To suppress the path usage, and to allow to enter some reasonable value, the DBQ parameter was introduced to NODBC DSN Configuration dialog.

If SQL queries like “CREATE View1 AS SELECT * FROM Currency” is used, NODBC needs to store information about created view after session is closed. For this purpose, a special file is used, and the directory for that file should be specified. This parameter (i.e. “View File Directory”) is used by all NODBC DSN, so, it works as a system wide option. Also, only 255 views maximum can be created.
    “This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.”