Warehouse Class Code

dekka22dekka22 Member Posts: 11
Can anyone help answer this question.

We have a warehouse that is broken down into several zones and each of these zones (temperature and product driven e.g. chemicals) has a warehouse class assigned to them. All items have also been classified with a warehouse class code so that the correct items end up in the correct zones. We use full WMS functionality.

The problem we have is that when you create a warehouse receipt from either a purchase order or through the receipt function within the warehouse module, you get an error that the warehouse class code is not valid. This is due to the fact that we have nominated a default receiving bin (this cannot be blank).
All of our Purchase orders and sales orders use a mixture of products that have various warehouse class codes (we work in the food service industry distributing various products from frozen to dry goods).

This means that we have to nominate the receiving bin for each item manually on the receipt lines based on the warehouse class code. This problem is also the same when doing shipments.

My question is do I have to customise Nav to auto-allocate the correct bins for both receiving and shipping or am I missing something in the setup?
Derek Brown

Comments

• i4tosti4tost Member Posts: 208
    You can create as much receiving bins as you want. Do not setup any receiving bin in warehouse card. You must select correct receiving bin after receipt creation.
  • dekka22dekka22 Member Posts: 11
    You have to create a receipt bin for each warehouse class code. This is not the problem.

If I receive 40 lines on a PO and every line belongs to a various warehouse class code then I have to specify on each line of the warehouse receipt which receiving bin it belongs to. If you are receipting 40 POs a day then this can be a time consuming exercise, especially if half of the receipts are cross docked, which then brings you to the next issue which is you then need to specify which shipping bin each item belongs to again based on warehouse class code.
    Derek Brown
  • prototyperprototyper Member Posts: 70
    Hi Dekka,

I am having a simular problem, the difference being that I am not setting a warehouse class on my items just on certain bins so that we can group bins within a zone (this is to identify bins within one of three vertical carousels). This is causing an issue with movements where it will not allow me to move an item between bins with different (or no) class.

I am planning on commenting out the code in the CheckWhseClass function inside the bin table to overcome this.
    As I can see this won't cause any issues for us - however, if anyone has any warning or reason not to do this I would be keen to hear.
    Sleep on it... The best solutions come at 2am
  • dekka22dekka22 Member Posts: 11
    You would be better off not using warehouse class codes and probably setting up more zones or set up your bin numbering in such a way that it identifies the uniqueness of the group of bins within the carousels.
    When using warehouse class codes you must identify the product as well as the bin into which it will live.
    Derek Brown
  • prototyperprototyper Member Posts: 70
    Thanks for your repsonse.

We want to have all 3 carousels running from 1 pick so that one picker picks from all carousels simulatiously, for efficiency purposes. The bins will all be numbered in a way as to identify which carousel they are in but I want to avoid using hard coding in my apps to determine which pick lines move the which carousel etc. I was hoping to use the warehouse class for this so that each carousel would only move to locations within its warehouse class.

I can't find anywhere in Nav that tests the warehouse class of the item to the bin other than the code that I am commenting out or any consequence of these not matching. If this is the case I think I should be OK to run with the warehouse class once this code is commented out. :-k

Your thoughts are appreciated.
    Sleep on it... The best solutions come at 2am