Adjust cost - item entries too long and endless loop

vasamvasam Member Posts: 53
Hi all

I saw that there are similar topics but this is different case.
We were working on Nav 4.0 and recently we have done upgrade to Nav 5.0. Since we have done the upgrade we have a problem with the function Adjust costs - Item entries. For the items that is defined Item tracking (and there are a lot of Item ledger entries for it) it is taking too long to finish.
Also only for one item it never finishes. It starts from one entry no., it comes to the end and than it starts all over again.

Please tell me what can be the reason for that since we didn't have this kind of problems when we were working on Nav 5.0?

Tnx & Rgrds

Answers

• DeepDeep Member Posts: 569
    There must be some blank record in the item table.
    If yes, then delete the item and run the batch job again.
    This is one of the reason for an endless loop of AICE batch job.
    Regards,

Deep
    India
  • pashya1972pashya1972 Member Posts: 176
    Hi

Just reconfirm ur set-up > Warehouse> Setup> inventory> Avg,cost calc.type

There r two options one item and another is item by variant.

As rightly explained one reason cud be blank item due to which it runs into loop. Another cud be this.. Just ask ur consultant to confirm. If it is avg.cost by variant or?

Prashant
  • vasamvasam Member Posts: 53
    Thanks for fast reply.

Our AVerage costs calculation type is Item & Location & Variant and Costing method is Average.

Rgrds
  • bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    One situation that can cause this is a production order that consumes its own output.
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.
    We don't use Manufacturing at all, so we don't use Production orders and also, we have checked, there is no empty entry in the Item table.

Rgds
  • ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,256
    If you have not done any modification. I suggest to contact MS and let me look at your db. Also I suggest to quickly load 5.0 sp1 object in a backup of production to see if it fixes the issue.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
  • mukshamuksha Member Posts: 274
    Please also check the records of Diemensions for that particular item, it may also be due to missing/unmatched dimension.
    Mukesh Sharma
    Missing or mismatched dimensions will not cause an endless loop. If "Code Mandatory" is set then missing dimensions will cause Adjust Cost to abort with an error. If "Same Code" is set then mismatched dimension will also result in an error.
  • mukshamuksha Member Posts: 274
    Normally it FLASHES the error "Please select a dimension value/Dimesion value must be---". In past we faced the similar problem with the initial version of 5.0 which was rectified after upgradation to 5.0 SP1.
    Mukesh Sharma
    muksha wrote:
    Normally it FLASHES the error "Please select a dimension value/Dimesion value must be---". In past we faced the similar problem with the initial version of 5.0 which was rectified after upgradation to 5.0 SP1.

If your system is "Flashing" an error on a missing mandatory dimension and continuing on then it has been modified to do this. Normal NAV will throw a hard error and abort the transaction.
    Yes, sometimes it happened if there is not dimension which is mandatory, but it appears error and than the entry is given the necessary dimension and the function passes. This is a different kind of case. Could the reason be the upgrade?
    vasam wrote:
    Yes, sometimes it happened if there is not dimension which is mandatory, but it appears error and than the entry is given the necessary dimension and the function passes. This is a different kind of case. Could the reason be the upgrade?

Do you mean there will be an error, Adjust Cost stops, then someone fiuxes the entry and restarts Adjust Cost? That's how it's worked since dimensions was introduced. What version did you upgrade from?
    We upgraded from 4.0 and than the problems with the adjust starts. Until than we didn't have this kind of problems. Sometimes the function was taking longer (2 hours) but after the 2 hours it finished. Now, only for one item it is running 10 hours and still does not finish.
  • bghubrbghubr Member Posts: 16
    Have your solution center check with Microsoft. There are code changes available to increase performance and get rid of this looping. At my previous employer I merged these changes into the database and the process previously would take 6 hours, with the new code 1 hour. The solution center needs to tell Microsoft you are using average costing method.
  • BeliasBelias Member Posts: 2,998
    Deep wrote:
    There must be some blank record in the item table.
    If yes, then delete the item and run the batch job again.
    This is one of the reason for an endless loop of AICE batch job.
    Thanks a lot!!!!i didn't know it...i was doing performance troubleshooting and i've seen that the same query was continuously run...i searched mibuso and bang! :thumbsup:
    -Mirko-
    "Never memorize what you can easily find in a book".....Or Mibuso
    My Blog