Options

Sharing Chart of accounts

Aure69Aure69 Member Posts: 30
edited 2004-07-02 in Navision Financials
We have a multi-society database and we'd like to share the charts of accounts between all societies.

Does someone have an experience on this ? What could be the process ? What properties should be changed ? What other tables should be shared ?
Business Analyst
Incadea (Vertical solution for the automotive market based on Nav 2.60)
French speaking European/African/Indian Ocean countries.

Comments

• Options
    DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    I would not share the GL account table across companies, because if someone in one company changes anything, this will be changed in all companies.
  • Options
    SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
    I did some searches on mibuso & navision.net and doing something like this entails a tricky project. There's codeunit changes, data per company that needs to be looked at. Table sharing can be done but it has to be done right. take a look an some discussions below:

http://www.mibuso.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... t+accounts

http://www.navision.net/forum/topic.asp ... le,sharing

http://www.navision.net/forum/topic.asp ... le,sharing
  • Options
    DenSter wrote:
    I would not share the GL account table across companies, because if someone in one company changes anything, this will be changed in all companies.
    That is the target ! Only the super user would be able to change it anyway.

Thanks for the links Savatage :wink:
    Business Analyst
  • Options
    Aure69 wrote:
    DenSter wrote:
    That is the target ! Only the super user would be able to change it anyway.

Thanks for the links Savatage :wink:
    You are asking for trouble :shock: . Please think this one through with the help of a solution center before you start modifying the tables design, and please make a backup of your database so you can go back easily.

Sharing a table across companies is easy, you can do that with the DataPerCompany property of the table. In addition to the GL Account table though, you'd have to also share the subsidiary tables associated with the GL Account table, so that you won't have errors when you link to a record that only exists in one of the companies. You can figure out which other tables you need by opening the GL Account table in design and investigate all fields. Each field that has a table relation to another table is one you want. You will also have to share the table that the field links to.
  • Options
    DenSter wrote:
    You are asking for trouble :shock: . Please think this one through with the help of a solution center before you start modifying the tables design, and please make a backup of your database so you can go back easily.
    :oops: We are a solution center but I am not a developper :lol: Thanx for your advices, I just had an answer from MBS France and I was surprised to read that no other table should be shared according to them :shock: They just told me to share the table, to modify the OnDelete() Trigger and to add a bit of code... I am going to make some test anyway :wink:
    Business Analyst
  • Options
    RobertMoRobertMo Member Posts: 484
    Savatage wrote:
    http://www.mibuso.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2524

There I explained what happens to table relations. Yes it dangerous unless you know what is going on and what you are doing, but on the other way we used it and it works for us.
               ®obi           
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
  • Options
    Aure69 wrote:
    :oops: We are a solution center but I am not a developper :lol: Thanx for your advices, I just had an answer from MBS France and I was surprised to read that no other table should be shared according to them :shock: They just told me to share the table, to modify the OnDelete() Trigger and to add a bit of code... I am going to make some test anyway :wink:
    Ok you do that, but don't be surprised when it errors out on you :shock:

Here's something you can test:
    Go to company A and enter General Business Posting Group COMPANYA, and then assign it to a GL Account.

Then, go to company B and make sure that General Business Posting Group COMPANYA does not exist. Then go to your GL Account and validate the General Business Posting Group (hit F2 in the field and tab out). You will notice that you are getting an error that General Business Posting Group COMPANYA does not exist.

This is because now you have shared the GL Account table but not the General Posting Group table (following Navision France advice?????). The GL Account exists in both companies (or rather, it is shared by both companies), but one of the fields is referencing a record that only exists in one company.

I am telling you, this is a LOT more complicated than it seems. I have done this before and it is NOT a matter of only sharing the GL Account table.
  • Options
    I see what you mean DenSter that's why i am still looking for feedbacks on that... I am not sure we will accept to do it anyway :roll:
    Business Analyst
  • Options
    RobertMoRobertMo Member Posts: 484
    but as I said it worked for us... it just takes a lot more tables then expected.
               ®obi           
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
  • Options
    It worked for us too Robert, after weeks of careful analysis and development.

I am just trying to make the point that only sharing the GL Account table will not be enough.
  • Options
    DenSter wrote:
    I am just trying to make the point that only sharing the GL Account table will not be enough.
    I agree, I will tell MBS-France :lol:
    Business Analyst