Is NAV 2009 CC required to run RTC?

havhav Member Posts: 299
edited 2009-01-28 in NAV Three Tier
Hi all,
Out of the blue i need to know whether NAV 2009 CC reqd. to run RTC?

The reason being i have migrated my integration in NAV 5.0 W1 SP1 to NAV 2009 CC and tested it on RTC as well. It is working fine.

I have all 3T of NAV2009 configured on one machine only and have carried out all integration, transformation etc. stuff on demo database in NAV2009 CC.

Now, i need to prepare 10 different isolated PC's with NAV2009 integration.
So my querry is-
do i need to install CC on each of this machine in order for RTC to work?
shall i take the entire database backup containing the integration so that the same can be restored directly on each of the SQL servers present in each of the PC's?
Or
shall i export the integration only in .fob so that the same can be imported in the demo db. already installed in each PC's? I think the .fob cannot be imported unless CC is available since RTC does not provide design environment.

Please help to resolve this.

Regards,
Hemant
Regards,
Hemant
MCTS (MB7-841 : NAV 2009 C/SIDE Solution Development)

Comments

• kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    Sorry, but what is CC?
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • dmccraedmccrae Member, Microsoft Employee Posts: 144
    I assume by CC you mean the Classic Client?

If I understand correctly what you are trying to do, you have 10 PCs each with their own SQL Server installed and you want the database you now have prepared and working, to be copied to each? I.e. you do not have a common SQL Server.

If that's the case the best way is to do a SQL Server backup of your database (not a NAV backup) and restore it directly into each SQL Server as a new database.

The RTC/NAV Server can run on the PC without the Classic Client, but if you need any of the admin tasks that the Classic Client provides (e.g. setting up users; importing .fobs) then you will at least need a Classic Client to be able to access the database involved, whether from the same PC or a different one. Note that the NAV Installer is capable of placing a Cronus demo license file into a SQL Server, if there is no license present already. But if you need your own license file, you will need to use the Classic Client to upload one to the SQL Server of the PC. Typically it is not a part of the database itself (and won't be in the backup) unless you have a special per-database license.

If this was not your intention then please clarify.
    Dean McCrae - Senior Software Developer, NAV Server & Tools

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
  • havhav Member Posts: 299
    kine wrote:
    Sorry, but what is CC?
    dmccrae wrote:
    I assume by CC you mean the Classic Client?

Yes CC refers to Classic Client.

My intention is to prepare a .msi installer which will allow my end users (usually support staff from different locations) to install the integration for NAV2009.
    Since the installer will install .fob containing the integration and the user will then have to import it in their demo database, i think Classic Client is must. Once imported and if RTC is available then the user can view the integration with all new NAV2009 features in RTC also.

Thanks for your support.

Regards,
    Hemant
    Regards,
    Hemant
    MCTS (MB7-841 : NAV 2009 C/SIDE Solution Development)
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    Fob can be imported through C/Front too...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • freddy.dkfreddy.dk Member, Microsoft Employee Posts: 360
    Beside admin taskis and the things described, CC would be needed if you are running any classic reports from RTC.
    Freddy Kristiansen
    Group Program Manager, Client
    Microsoft Dynamics NAV
    http://blogs.msdn.com/freddyk

The information in this post is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. This post does not represent the thoughts, intentions, plans or strategies of my employer. It is solely my opinion.