Finishing a production order without posting consumption

AlexWileyAlexWiley Member Posts: 230
I found a previous thread that was "solved", saying that if you finish a production order without posting consumption you are basically out of luck, and must use the item journal to correct it.

I can accept that, but I do have a question: Why would you ever want to post output without consuming raw materials? It doesn't make sense (to me :? ). I was thinking about changing the message to simply not allow a production order to be finished without having consumption posted, but I wanted to find out if anyone had a reason for doing this first.

Comments

• markborgesmarkborges Member Posts: 170
    AlexWiley wrote:
    I can accept that, but I do have a question: Why would you ever want to post output without consuming raw materials? It doesn't make sense (to me :? ). I was thinking about changing the message to simply not allow a production order to be finished without having consumption posted, but I wanted to find out if anyone had a reason for doing this first.

I guess this kind of thing happens by mistake of users. I had a lot of production orders closed before the correct point because sometimes the user is too busy talking to the mate next to him, and then, accidentaly he presses F11 + <ENTER> so fast that nobody can have the time to think what to do next... ](*,)

Maybe somebody else has some other reason too

:wink:
    Marcelo Borges
    D365 Business Central Solutions Architect
    BC AL/NAV C/AL Developer
    BC Repositories.com
  • nunomaianunomaia Member Posts: 1,153
    Posting output without consumptions can lead to cost errors, since created items won’t have any cost associated to it.
    Nuno Maia

Freelance Dynamics AX
    Blog : http://axnmaia.wordpress.com/
  • i4tosti4tost Member Posts: 208
    Actually it can be a situation, when it is impossible to calculate even approximate quantities of consumed materials. In that way companies decide to writedown materials once per day/week/month and do not consume anything in production order.
    Also sometimes materials take 5% of item cost and it is to expensive to calculate them :)
    And last but not least is when you did a mistake and created an order (and already posted output) for wrong item. Than why you should post consumption?