Navision freezes when running a big report

EtienneRoyEtienneRoy Member Posts: 24
Hi,
When i running a report with many calculates, Navision freeze until the report is to be finished.
Is it possible to run while working in other Navision screen?

Thank you for you subjestion

Etienne Roy

Comments

• i4tosti4tost Member Posts: 208
    Redesign your report. It takes too much resources. Or buy better PC
  • jversusjjversusj Member Posts: 489
    i think what the original post is referring to is, when you are running a report, you get an 'hour-glass' and cannot click anywhere else within the client. this is true with large stock reports (such as customer aging), so i do not think it is poor report design.

I have had fast desktops, connected to fast servers, and still see this with even stock reports. i do not think it is possible to run a report in the background while you work on something else in the same client session, but i could be mistaken. if i have to do two things at once when running a large report, i would open a separate session for the report to run in and do my other work in the other session.

now, if the poster did mean that NAV "freezes" then i would agree that there may be an issue with the report design. by freeze i mean that you see no visible indicators of progress or the application appears to be 'not responding' in some way.
    kind of fell into this...
  • Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    You can always push ESC to cancel the report or start another NAV session to run other reports.
  • garakgarak Member Posts: 3,263
    you can use a other Session (new NAV window) on the same pc to continue your work (or on a other pc).
    But you / the others, can be blocked, if you make in the running report "big" record changes (modifications, and your report is not only for Data View) on your "hot" tables (for example item).
    To find out, why NAV "freeze" you can start the enhanced Clientmonitor (it's on ToolsCD) or the Profiler (if under SQL).
    Is it a standard report or a customized report?

Regards
    Do you make it right, it works too!
  • AlexWileyAlexWiley Member Posts: 230
    Depending on how often this happens you might look into BI software or switching to SQL to run a data warehouse. If you are doing a large query on several tables; or if you have created lots of look up fields in base tables (Item/Vendor/Customer/GL) then you are putting a large strain on your system. If this is a once a month thing I would do as suggested above and run another session, but if you are waiting 2-3+ hours for a report every day I would consider other options.
  • EtienneRoyEtienneRoy Member Posts: 24
    Is a customized report with many sale statistic
    for example: All sales for all items and for all mount on year. This report is longer to execute
    and i dont think i can improve better.
    but I'm wondering if there were ways to execute the report backgroup and continue to use Navision.
    The option of opening a second session work but is takes a lot of license.
    we have 125 license and almost is use.

the best option would be able to run a report but may open another Navision screen at the same time.

P.S. Excuse my english
    edited 2009-01-23
    but I'm wondering if there were ways to execute the report backgroup and continue to use Navision.

sorry, but if y job runs (like a report) you can't start a other. You must wait for the end of the job (here the report).
    But you can run this report automaticly. Use for this for example NAS (you have one license for NAS). On somer customer installations of mine i use the nas to printig the report as pdf and send it via mail to the recipients

http://www.naviworld.com/document/Navis ... epaper.pdf
    Excuse my english

No, problem. For many people here on the community, english is not their primary language.
    But we all understand us ...... so doen't be afraid for this

Regards
  • EtienneRoyEtienneRoy Member Posts: 24
    Hi AlexWiley,

I asked more report by day and this report take between 15 minutes to 2 hours.
    More peaple need to print report, the second session option is not the best ... it takes too much license.

What other options you consider ?
  • AlexWileyAlexWiley Member Posts: 230
    EtienneRoy wrote:
    Hi AlexWiley,

I asked more report by day and this report take between 15 minutes to 2 hours.
    More peaple need to print report, the second session option is not the best ... it takes too much license.

What other options you consider ?

Hi Etienne, your options are to use NAS, as mentioned above by garak, or upgrade your infrastructure/database- those are really your only options. Or, of course, tell someone else to run it :mrgreen:
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    We are using NAS solution too. NAV client is single-threaded. It means when it is doing something, you cannot do something else. Our NAS solution is working in a way, that the user run the selected report, enter the filters and options like when running any other report, but after he click Print or Preview or Ok, all the settings are saved into tables and for user all ended. But the NAS will take the settings and run the report with them. It needs some changes in the report but it is not hard when you develop the needed support functionality.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
    @kine :D absolutly the the same what i do .....