License file and concurrent user

karlkarl Member Posts: 22
Dear expert,

I have some question here regarding NAV license file.
Let's say our company has below environment:
1. Using NAV SQL Server option (NAV 4 SP 3).
2. There is no "per server database" granule.
3. NAV license cover up until 20 concurrent user.
4. SQL Server using single server instance.

From information that I've searched on this forum, license file should be uploaded to sql server and will reside on Master Database. So, every client connected to sql server will have license that has already uploaded. From this, I assume that our NAV license is per Server (not per database).
Now, my questions are:
1. Can I temporary access NAV using license (let's say developer license) other than the one that has been uploaded? I mean doing this by using "Change License" in License Information. But still, I want that all other user (except me) accessing NAV using original company license.
2. Assume if I can access NAV using that different license, which concurrent user is consume for the license? The original license or developer license?
3. For SQL Server option, what is the use for "Import License" option in License Information? From "Installation and Configuration" manual, I see that it is used to copy the license file into NAV folder but still, is it really need to do that since we just should upload it to server without import it? Or maybe I miss something on this :? .
4. "per server database" granule is free of charge or not? :?:

Please help and thanks before.

Regards,
Karel

Answers

• i4tosti4tost Member Posts: 208
    At first, in NAV license is always per Database and per Company. If you want to have 2 databases then you should have 2 licenses.
    1. Yes, you can.
    2. If you select Change, then only you will have new license permissions. Concurent users is always from the license imported in database.
    3. Import will import new license to database and every user then will use new license
    4. This is to have a possibility to import license into database.
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    i4tost wrote:
    3. Import will import new license to database and every user then will use new license
    4. This is to have a possibility to import license into database.

3. it is not true. The UPLOAD will save the license into the database (master or NAV db when Per Database is used). IMPORT will save the license only in the client folder on local PC (from where you run the client). This license is used when starting the client, after connecting to the server, the server license is used. It means, in Live system, you never need to IMPORT the license...
    4. I think yes, it is free or only for some low fee.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • karlkarl Member Posts: 22
    Hi guys,

Thanks for the reply. Just want to confirm about my question #2.
    So, actually I can access NAV using different license? Which mean if original license support up to 20 concurrent user and when I login to NAV using different license, I will not consume the concurrent user in the original license?

Let's say at one time there are already 15 users login to NAV, then at the same time I login to NAV using different license (using "Change License"). Am I consume 1 concurrent user on the server so now server assume that there are 16 concurrent user connected? or the server still assume that there are only 15 concurrent user (because I'm using different license ) ?

Please confirm.

Regards,
    Karel
    No, you will consume each time the license. Because the count of sessions is calculated by each client, they have no way how to differ between sessions for different license. It means, if client see 10 other users connected to same server from NAV client, it will be 10 concurrent sessions already used. There is no way how to say, "oh, wait, this one session is using another license, do not count it!". You can only use some license with higher session limit for you to be able to connect even if all customer sessions are used. But than the users from customer will not be able to connect until the count will be lesser than their license limit...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • i4tosti4tost Member Posts: 208
    kine, is this true means you can login with license with higher session limit even if all customer sessions are used? In NAV 4.0 it was not possible. I never tried in NAV 5.0.
    If you open client, use Change to change your active license and you try to connect to the server, I think that the session count will be compared with the limit in your active license. You cannot do the change of the license "after" you connected, becaus in this case you will not be allowed to connect.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • karlkarl Member Posts: 22
    Hi guys,

Thanks for your brief explanation, really appreciate!

Regards,
    Karel