Adding Hosts and Services in windows Vista

chrispaulchrispaul Member Posts: 174
Hi All

I have installed Navision Database Server and added host name and services in the respective folder in Server but when i am trying to add the same in Client Machine then it gives an error "Cannot create the C:\\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts file. Make sure that the path and file name are correct.

pl tell me how can i add it in my client's machine.

Thanks in Adv.

Comments

• DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    I'm on Vista, and I have the folder "C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc", and there is a hosts file and a services file in this folder. Your message has two \\ in the path, is that a typo? Copy my path and paste it directly into a windows explorer window, you should be able to see it.

I don't have a NAV database server running here though, nor do I have one to connect to, but I have no reason to think it wouldn't work.
  • chrispaulchrispaul Member Posts: 174
    Thanks for reply Danster , I am sorry that i added one more '\' that was by mistake.
    I am still not yet resolver , pl suggest my with any kind of advice.
    I am still waiting for a response.
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    I don't know what else to say. The hosts and services files are in the folder that they are supposed to be in my Vista installation. Without access to your particular computer, there's no way to tell why they wouldn't be on your computer. I think they are, you just aren't looking in the right place I think.
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    Under Vista, he problem is UAC. Copy the file somewhere else, where you have full permissions, edit the file, copy it back with the UAC confirmation. The editors are not able to modify files protected by UAC.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
    Thanks Kine, it works that way but still i am unable to connect to server from a client machine , it still says "The TCP/IP connection's host is not answering (TCP/IP error ECCONREFUSED)" though i have added into the hosts and services file now. Any idea ?
    There is one thing you need to know - for the files, to work correctly, the files must end with new line. It means, if you add some line, enter the new line at the end of the last line... ;-)
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
    I knew that and for your sake here is how i added host and services in order to access 'Shatec'

HOSTS:

127.0.0.1 localhost
    ::1 localhost
    192.168.10.2 Shatec

SERVICES:
    imip-channels 11320/tcp #IMIP Channels Port
    imip-channels 11320/udp #IMIP Channels Port
    directplaysrvr 47624/tcp #Direct Play Server
    directplaysrvr 47624/udp #Direct Play Server
    Shatec 2069/tcp

What are your thoughts on this ?
    If after the last "tcp" is new line, than the problem will be somewhere else like wrong protocol (TCPS instead TCP) or Firewall (open the port 2069)
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
    No kine there is no new line , and may i know how can i open up the port 2069, i am sorry if that is a weird question but i did't kw how to do that .
    Than add the new (empty) line after the "Shatec 2069/tcp"

Opening the port means that you need to add exception for TCP protocol on the port 2069. If you are using Windows Firewall, than look into Windows help how to setup the firewall (e.g. there: http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Window ... b1033.mspx)
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
    Sorry to say kine but still no use
    DId you checked the firewall on the server?
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
    Yes i did it's ON , i tried adding port 2069 as an exception but no use.